IGNORED

Throttlemeister Maintenance

Selden

Over time, the Throttlemeister on my RT has loosened up — not the gap between the unit and the throttle grip, but rather the mechanism became far too easy to turn, which resulted in it creeping on during long rides. It's not a case of it being too tight, as I have it set so that it engages only at full on in cold weather, when the gap will be largest.

I disassembled the throttlemeister. There are three parts:

— Stainless steel outer weight

— Threaded bronze bushing with O-ring

— Steel inner cylinder, with O-rings at either end

Replacing and greasing the O-rings on the inner cylinder restored the amount of resistance needed to maintain a setting.

TL-maincomponents.JPG

• Like 1
AnotherLee

Bravo, Selden! I didn't know we could do that.

Edited by TheOtherLee
realshelby

This is the trouble I had with both the Throttlemeister and Kaoko bar end throttle locks. Never could keep the adjustment just right. But they are well worth having and putting up with.

I was beside the guy that sells these at the BMW Rally. I was very impressed with them. Unlike the throttlemeister they are EASY to actuate and since actuation isn't part of setting them for tightness they always stay where you put them. Hope it isn't too much of a highjack, and I have zero affiliation.

http://www.excelthrottlecontrol.com/

Shiny Side Up

I've never had any issues with the Throttlemeister on my motorcycle, but thanks for the info. Good to know how to repair it if I do have problems.

BTW - are the O-rings available at an auto parts store or did you order them from Throttlemeister?

I just realized that I bollixed up my description. The two small rings on the steel barrel are just for sealing purposes. The big ring on the threaded brass part is the one that controls the amount of drag. I realized this, because when I went for a ride earlier today, the action was too stiff, so I pried out the new O-ring, and replaced it with one slightly thinner. A hardware store is probably the best source for O-rings. Diameter is not as important critical; it just needs thick enough to add a little drag, so you can experiment until you get the result you want.

• 4 years later...

Dear Selden,

Thanks for doing this simple, yet extremely helpful tad of maintenance.

I recently had a front end collision on my 2008 K1200S and fortunately, everyone was fine just a ton of fairing work and waiting for parts.  The Local dealer had removed the bar end to replace with stock.  

After much negotiation, we were able to keep the Throttle side Bar End, but could not get the damn thing to work properly. 

Thanks again, for solving another problem of life and Beemer Ownership!

Cheers