IGNORED

I'll Show You Mine if You Show Me Yours . . . Call for Wethead Photos

Mike

RandyShields

After seeing all these beautiful RTs in this thread, as well as the growing number at the recent START, I couldn't help myself and found this pristine 2016 nearby last week.  It has only 7K miles on it and came with a Nav 5 and custom Sargent seat (the passenger backrest needs to come off).  Let the farkling begin!

new RT2.jpg

new RT4.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice Randy, that color works well if you want to “sport” her up! :classic_biggrin: Graphics?  :dontknow: Brad (Boxflyer) has a couple small 28 L top cases that look awesome on that bike especially if you color match it like John In VA. did. Black out those rims! Sorry, got a little rambunctious there, but heck that was better than the morning coffee! :-))

image.jpeg

• Like 2
RandyShields

Thanks Pat.  I do like this color.  Those graphics look similar to the ones standard on the blue bikes.  I will definitely need to consider those.  And yes, I really like John's color matched top box.  That looks great.

• Like 1

Congrats Randy!!  Welcome to the RT side of Sport Touring.  :whistle:

Nice bike!  I hope to chase you on it at FART.

RandyShields
2 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Congrats Randy!!  Welcome to the RT side of Sport Touring.  :whistle:

Nice bike!  I hope to chase you on it at FART.

Thanks.  Would love to ride together again.  It has been a while since I had an RT.  Had an 1150RT when I came to the BMW side, but it is nice to have a tourer again.  Need to learn how to ride it, though.  I will probably need to chase you.

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, RandyShields said:

Need to learn how to ride it, though

Having the chance to follow you up to the parkway tells me that ain’t gonna take all that long! ;) :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Smile 2
On 5/7/2021 at 6:35 AM, RandyShields said:

After seeing all these beautiful RTs in this thread, as well as the growing number at the recent START, I couldn't help myself and found this pristine 2016 nearby last week.  It has only 7K miles on it and came with a Nav 5 and custom Sargent seat (the passenger backrest needs to come off).  Let the farkling begin!

new RT2.jpg

new RT4.jpg

Welcome to the RT side of the road.

RandyShields
6 hours ago, Bernie said:

Welcome to the RT side of the road.

Thanks!  Actually, since I started my BMW adventure with an 1150 RT in 2001, Welcome back would be more accurate!  But I can tell, this is an entirely different bike.  Gonna be fun to explore with it.

• Like 2
RandyShields

Well, I have to say I never quite understood what some of you guys were saying about the smoothness of the wethead RT engine and how it is geared differently from the GS, but I have to agree.  After a couple hours on it today – with my little remaining gasoline – I am just marveling at how smooth it is.  And pretty darn nimble.  And I also agree – way easier to get it onto the center stand than the GS.  The RT just kind of rocks up on it with 25% of the effort of hoisting the GS up. Don't remember any of that from my test ride 5 years ago.  Getting ready to farkle.

And BTW, a fact that many on this site probably already know but I just discovered -- as I try to decide on the right top case, I wondered if my GS Vario top case might work in a pinch before a final decision.  Nope.  Even though the top case receiver brackets look pretty similar on both bikes, the Vario top case hooks are too wide for the RT.  Pretty smart those Germans -- make the customer buy a different top case for each bike. 

• Like 1
On 5/14/2021 at 5:24 PM, RandyShields said:

Well, I have to say I never quite understood what some of you guys were saying about the smoothness of the wethead RT engine and how it is geared differently from the GS, but I have to agree.  After a couple hours on it today – with my little remaining gasoline – I am just marveling at how smooth it is.  And pretty darn nimble.  And I also agree – way easier to get it onto the center stand than the GS.  The RT just kind of rocks up on it with 25% of the effort of hoisting the GS up. Don't remember any of that from my test ride 5 years ago.  Getting ready to farkle.

And BTW, a fact that many on this site probably already know but I just discovered -- as I try to decide on the right top case, I wondered if my GS Vario top case might work in a pinch before a final decision.  Nope.  Even though the top case receiver brackets look pretty similar on both bikes, the Vario top case hooks are too wide for the RT.  Pretty smart those Germans -- make the customer buy a different top case for each bike. 

You are right, both are different, by the way try to go to the center stand, I’m my case (I am 140 Lbs only), I should remove the center top case because to my effort is is too much, not sure what others fell

• 3 weeks later...

My 2015 R12RTW.  I couldn't stand the front and side gray panels, so they were professionally color-matched along with the trunk within a couple weeks of bike delivery:

IMG_0193.jpeg

IMG_0190.jpeg

IMG_0191.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 6/5/2021 at 11:15 AM, mneblett said:

My 2015 R12RTW.  I couldn't stand the front and side gray panels, so they were professionally color-matched along with the trunk within a couple weeks of bike delivery:

IMG_0193.jpeg

IMG_0190.jpeg

IMG_0191.jpeg

Mine is the same color, and we love it.  I like how you painted the top box.  I had considered doing the same, but I think I'd have painted the bottom, from black to silver.  Still waiting for that $ to pop up in the garden...

IMG_4186.thumb.JPG.01bd52f9e4c37ba331493b41b90c901a.JPG

Not exactly a close up glamour shot like most of the great photos on this thread, but how often do you get an RT next to a brontosaurus?

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, K100Fran said:

IMG_4186.thumb.JPG.01bd52f9e4c37ba331493b41b90c901a.JPG

Not exactly a close up glamour shot like most of the great photos on this thread, but how often do you get an RT next to a brontosaurus?

Looks like an RT-Rex to me      (I know, It's a stretch but hey!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, MachineJoe said:

Looks like an RT-Rex to me      (I know, It's a stretch but hey!)

And no-one climbed on the RT-Rex animal, either!

• Smile 1
  • 2 months later...