IGNORED

Starter Spinning on 2002 K1200LT

wjwhitty

Just took my 2002 K1200LTE out for the first trip of the year and stopped to get gas. Afterwards I attempted to start it and the starter just spun with no engine turnover. Panicked because I was 60 miles from home. Eventually I placed it in gear and moved it forward and back to try and force things to move around. Thankfully it started right up after that and I got home. It has never done that before and I only have 34000 miles on her. Any thoughts on either what it was or things I should do to prevent it from happening again. I'm a little nervious that this might happen again. Also noted a problem with my cruise control but I'll start a different thread for that. Thanks.

Let me preface this by saying I don't know much about the K bikes. But, the starter is probably similar or the same to other models? It sounds like the starter bendix is not engaging. Perhaps have that looked at. I know some of the R bike starters get finicky when crusted up with dirt and grime. It is sometimes helpful to get those cleaned and sometime it just make more sense to replace the starter.

There are several "if's"

How long have you owned the bike?

How old is the battery?

It will make more sense with more info from you I bet.

The Big K's have their own weirdness with battery voltage.

Archived