IGNORED

Saturday in Salida Group Ride

Whip

Salida Black Canyon Loop

This is the same loop we did at the 2012 UN Rally led by Steve Carr.

This time it will be lead by Greg "Limecreek" Clark.

Many fun roads with great scenery including Independence/Monarch Passes and the Black Canyon.

Lunch stop in Redstone.

Long day so we are gonna have to get an early start.

May need to break into two groups and go in different directions.

salida%20street%20run-L.jpg

The Cottonwood/Kebler GS Run

Cottowood Pass is asphalt on the east side and a nice dirt road on the west. The Taylor river is a very twisty busy road that will take us to Crested Butte for lunch. Then over Kebler and back south through the Black Canyon and over Monarch to Salida.

Anyone can shorten the route and take 135 South back to Gunnison and home if they feel like it.

I will be leading this ride if anyone is interested....if not I will ride sweep for Greg.

This is an easy GS route. Very well maintained dirt roads with some fun ribbons of asphalt mixed in.

It says 8 hours, but I am sure we can do it under 7.

kebler%20run-L.jpg

Departing 4am...

Now, now Bob. I am much older and need more sleep.

6AM

Doug_Baliko
Salida Black Canyon Loop

This is the same loop we did at the 2012 UN Rally led by Steve Carr.

Many fun roads with great scenery including Independence/Monarch Passes and the Black Canyon.

Lunch stop in Redstone.

Long day so we are gonna have to get an early start.

May need to break into two groups and go in different directions.

salida%20street%20run-L.jpg

This is one of my favorite routes in Colorado!

Doug

And here I was thinking the new GS will be used purely as a "road bike"

Now I'm already thinking what 50/50 tires to get...

And here I was thinking the new GS will be used purely as a "road bike"

Now I'm already thinking what 50/50 tires to get...

TKC 70s have been working good around the Rocky Mountains

:wave:

• 3 weeks later...
lawnchairboy

TKC 70's work great on these roads....images and video all within range of Salida and all are big bike friendly. There was a GSA with us on most of these, no problems.

if you watch closely you'll see Louise go by at the beginning of the marshall pass road clip.

cut off road

GOPR0671-L.jpg

GOPR0663-L.jpg

marshall pass road

plenty of easy big bike stuff around Salida for dirt riding.

see you in the summer

chris

FlyingFinn

Looking forward to do the Cottonwood/Kebler loop on Saturday and hopefully more GS roads on Sunday.

And Whip, I might want to borrow that NoMar before heading out to Red Lodge.

Looking forward to do the Cottonwood/Kebler loop on Saturday and hopefully more GS roads on Sunday.

And Whip, I might want to borrow that NoMar before heading out to Red Lodge.

The No Mar will be ready.

It will also be in Red Lodge

lawnchairboy

Better bring some extra de mount bar tips or some a$$hat will break it off.

:dopeslap:

lawnchairboy

cottonwood/keblerpassGSrun

salidablackcanyonloop

The disclaimer.....

here are GPX files for the two routes , as this is my first attempt at a) using dropbox b) using basecamp on MAC for route creation and c) not smashing my computer while doing a & b above; BUYER BEWARE.

import into your rig, check it out,see if it looks right. In any case, nobody will get left behind.

see you this summer.

chris

FlyingFinn

Thanks for sending the routes, look fine on my GPS!

(for the record, I do still hate Basecamp)

Is it July yet?

Mikko

Mikko, I hope we'll be riding together on the GS routes Saturday. I've been over Cottonwood and Keebler pass many times. Views from Cottonwood are great.

FlyingFinn
Mikko, I hope we'll be riding together on the GS routes Saturday.

Looking forward to it!

Depending on where you decide to camp for Thursday night, I might try to join you already there.

My plan is to get to Utah for Wednesday night and then take some of the back roads towards SW Colorado.

Then camp Thursday night somewhere around/along 145 or 550.

Don't know why, but when I download the GPX file for the Black Canyon loop, it ends up with a ".txt" extension after the "GPX", so all I get is a text file, which I can't import to Basecamp. I tried deleting the ".txt", but that didn't help.

Not a big deal, I just created my own route in Basecamp following Whip's original screen grab.

lawnchairboy

Funny, in my Dropbox it shows a .gpx extension...

I'm computer challenged so who knows.

Funny, in my Dropbox it shows a .gpx extension...

I'm computer challenged so who knows.

Yes, it does have a .gpx extension in your Dropbox. It's only when I download it that ".txt" gets added and I can't seem to remove it. No worries, I went to Plan B.

• 4 weeks later...

Riders - For those that have not had the pleasure of riding this route, please click on the image below for a little preview.

Looking forward to seeing you in July.

Riders - For those that have not had the pleasure of riding this route, please click on the image below for a little preview.

Wow I don't remember it being that treacherous! ;):grin:

Pat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Group riders - trying to get an idea of how many of you are going on the road loop so we can do a little planning. Let me know if you intend on joining us and if you are a 2-up team.

Cheers!

As Larry stated earlier - this will be an all day ride with a long stop for lunch and a few shorter rest stops along the way.

Oh, and for anyone that wants to route in a Garmin map, let me know and I'll send you the file.

Who is in?

Is the meeting point & time for both rides the same? If available, when where?

Pat

When will you be getting to Salida?

Sounds great! :thumbsup:

Larry, my plan is to be at Bill's campground on the 18th and then peel over to Silverton & Ouray for two nights then be back on Friday afternoon.

Should be ready for Saturday no prob! :thumbsup:

Pat

Don't forget dinner at Whipville north .... stay tuned for details

6322 CO 178.

There will be signs to find the house.

Don't forget the dual sport ride. Don't know who is leading but if no one volunteers, I'll lead. I know the route well but my pace is on the slow side. Let's start at 0800 from the Gateway Inn

Don't forget the dual sport ride. Don't know who is leading but if no one volunteers, I'll lead. I know the route well but my pace is on the slow side. Let's start at 0800 from the Gateway Inn

Relax John, plenty of time.

:)

Group riders - trying to get an idea of how many of you are going on the road loop so we can do a little planning. Let me know if you intend on joining us and if you are a 2-up team....

Who is in?

IN

• 2 weeks later...
Group riders - trying to get an idea of how many of you are going on the road loop so we can do a little planning. Let me know if you intend on joining us and if you are a 2-up team.

Cheers!

As Larry stated earlier - this will be an all day ride with a long stop for lunch and a few shorter rest stops along the way.

Oh, and for anyone that wants to route in a Garmin map, let me know and I'll send you the file.

Who is in?

See how I feel, but pretty sure "iN"

Will we be stopping in Paonia?? They have the TOR there this weekend and several of my Des Moines homies will be there.

If not - no biggie.

Archived