IGNORED

Danger over the railing

AnotherLee

It's getting to be the season for motorcycle crashes. A bit sobering to all.

Two locally seem a bit unusual. Both involve deaths of the rider and someone going over a protective guard rail.

The first one *link* was on a freeway on-ramp. 911 calls reported a riderless motorcycle. Turned out the rider had fallen to the pavement below.

Second one was on a rural road at a bridge *link* . Passenger went over the railing & was found 40 ft down. Now in critical condition.

Both tragedies. Be careful out there.

Great advise and thanks for the post.

I know that my skill level is low after a period of not riding. I also know that a number of items that I would normally perform when riding a lot are not part of my routine during the first few months. For these reasons and more I try to take a rider safety course every year. I also will go to a parking lot with my cones and perform some maneuvers to get used to the bike and my skills back up. The safety course is to remind me of the basics - look way ahead, watch traffic for signs of road hazards and for what each cager will do, make sure you are visible to them, etc. As for the parking lot, it helps so when I come to a corner or tight U turn, I know what I am doing. Plus it makes me look better to the instructors when I do get to the driving part of any safety course.

Archived