IGNORED

2015 Jeff Emig Adventure Ride

TEWKS

This one is actually better if you can believe that! If you don't have time for all of it, bump it to 720 and go to the 5:45 mark. :thumbsup:

Pat

roadscholar

It's the San Juans, what's the big deal : )

That was some good footage Pat, the low clouds make the scenery even more dramatic. I'll be out there again this year and never tire of riding that area, so get yourself West young man!

Plenty of extra bikes floatin' around.. :thumbsup:

Plenty of extra bikes floatin' around.. :thumbsup:

Somehow, I just don't doubt that anymore! ;):grin:

What's your go to bike for some of the more technical-ish routes (Black Bear) in the San Juans? I've always whined about not having a WR450R street legal choice in Yamaha's lineup. The more time goes by (smarter-ish) I'm beginning to think the 250 would be fine.

The offer is beyond generous, thanks! :wave:

Pat

I recognize all those rocks :thumbsup: My last trip last year was on a well modified and suspended DR650. No Blackbear. :P Too old. It was waaaaayyy better than the WR250R I did the previous year for my "Bucker Trip" The WR has NOOOO power at 13000 feet.

roadscholar

I've heard there are worse afflictions : )

Anything from a 250 to 650 is fine, as long as it has pretty good suspension, you'll acclimate to whatever it is. You saw that guy hammer the 1190 down BB and plenty do it on 1200's, but like anything, smaller takes the work out of it.

So far my favorites are the WR250 and DRZ250, they're light enough to be fun, have decent suspenders, and will manage most of the climbs, the DRZ barely (I went up one tooth on the countersprocket for better hwy cruising). You don't want to get too dirtbike-ish because it takes most of a day to do those loops to Telluride or Lake City if you want to enjoy the scenery, so comfort becomes a factor. That's assuming you base in Silverton or Ouray which makes the most sense.

I'll be there on and off during the season so if you want to fly and ride we can figure out times. Also it looks like a few peeps will be in town late July so that could be fun too..

Another cool pic, Bill! :thumbsup:

What's your take on the Supermotard wheel setup with dirt tires as you have there? Found a DRZ with that combo, it looks awesome but he wants too much $$.

00909_flOMV8t6663_600x450.jpg

Pat

roadscholar

Like everything dualsportish there's going to be some trade off. Personally for all around use I like it, def nicer on the road. Plus the fat front slows the steering so in sand it's kind of like having a steering damper. The verdict is still out on the rocks in Co., not sure if it's better or worse, but it's not bad. I think the main reason for a 21" front is a bigger circumference makes it easier rolling over logs and other obstacles. Although I've heard racers say they want a skinny front and rear to dig down into the sand for more stability. Like Roseanna Roseanna-Danna sez, " it's always somethin" : )

Aftermarket those wheels are expensive, the WR pictured is an X so it came with them, I just run a non aggressive 12GS tire on the back so I can spin it up a little, and whatever I can find for the front. My buddy Dave had that setup on a DRZ400 and rode it everywhere, he liked it, could put you in touch.

older%20pics%20059-XL.jpg

I'm a slacker. Only been over about 15. And they forgot one, Schofield Pass out of Marble or Crested Butte from the east to west. This Pass takes you to the famous Crystal Mill, one of the more famous photo locations in CO. One of the central points of my Bucket Trip was to get there. I think Bill told me he had not been over this pass yet. Think I posted a couple of these before.

Crystal_zps92c81b5a.jpg

Here is one of a couple guy's Bull Dogging a couple new GS ADV's down the nastier part. They came from Crested Butte and had no idea how gnarly it would be. There is another real rocky section before you get to Crystal coming out of Marble. Sharp bowling sized rock area. We went up the pass, probably the harder way.

DSCF0190_zpse3ae7202.jpg

Coming from Crested, this is all they tell you :rofl:

DSCF0165_zps1fa9bc62.jpg

Oh, for what it's worth, my Warp 9 extra wheel sep-up I had for the DR, 19/17 ran about $975 complete, minus tires. When I bought the KLR, I sold the DR set and got another set the same size for a street set-up for the KLR. I really like the KLR with the 19 up front and more street oriented tires. The DR was also good with the 19 front.

If you're a slacker at 15, I probably can't say what I am! :grin: Did you ever need the extra fuel with the stock tank on the WR's?

Nice pics! :thumbsup:

Pat

No. They got about 55-60 mpg even at altitude. The motors ran great. Just needed to be revved way out to get anywhere. For my old age I need a much torquier low RPM motor, hence the change to the DR 650. It is just too heavy and tough to pick up at my age. So I don't fall :clap:

Archived