IGNORED

Gas Tank O'ring Stretched

Bigfish

What is the secret to getting the ring back into shape? I never had this issue with the original one. This time, I ordered a new o'ring via beemer boneyard and unfortunately tossed the original after replacing. Had to go back into tank because silly me forgot to connect the internal plug. Now, the o'ring is way too big to fit into the groove. I've tried putting in freezer to shrink, but did not work. Do I need to just order a new one?

Thanks!

Looks like I will need to let this fix sit for a day. Will put o'ring outside so the sun hits it tomorrow and hopefully I will button everything back up tomorrow evening.

Any suggestions on controlling the gas fumes in the garage? Should I try and tape the gas tank opening?

Any suggestions on controlling the gas fumes in the garage? Should I try and tape the gas tank opening?

Gas fumes in a closed garage is not a good thing....can you set the tank out in the back yard overnight?

Don J :wave:

Mike Sawatske

Boiling the O-Ring worked for me. Just kept putting it back into the pot until all the vapours flashing off had reduced it to the correct size. Floored me too until good old Google found this solution.

Is this the big O-ring under the filler cap, or the one under the fuel pump/filter plate?

I had tremendous trouble with the former a few years ago, not so much with the latter last month.

Just in case I need to remove the gas cap again, thanks for those ideas, especially boiling in water, to shrink the O-ring.

Mike Sawatske

Selden

Yes the one under the filler cap. I tried every trick I knew with only 2 hands to get it to seat whilst putting the cap back on. I was too adventurous in exploring my "new" bike and thought I was in real trouble.

Google found me the solution!

Archived