IGNORED

Transmission replacement, spline inspection

Trobinson

I started replacing my M94 tranny with an M97 and have gotten to where the M97 is installed and clutch cable adjusted. One bone to pick with BMW is why on earth would you put two nuts for the battery tray in the most difficult place to reach (under the ABS module)?? Anyway, got the bike split and tranny installed so now the reassembly will continue tomorrow.

Some things to note. 1. my clutch plate is still at 5.2mm so it is staying.

2. The splines are in good shape. I don't know if this trans has ever been removed, but they have at least the 80k miles I've put on the bike.

3. The bearings on the swing arm are sealed and seem to be in pretty good shape.

4. The FD pivot bushings are in very good shape after 30k+ miles.

5. Oil from old trans was grayish and smelled when drained. Drain plug had fuzzy stuff, but this looked normal.

6. Compared first gear play on the old trans to the new trans and they are the same. I initially thought the play on the M97 might not be normal, but it appears it is.

7. Old trans is much stiffer than the new one. I can turn the input shaft easily on the M97, but on the old one there is significant resistance.

8. The new trans does not have the studs for the battery tray (looks like they were cut off as part of the bushings are there) so the difficult to get nuts will go back on. :(

One thing I'm bummed about is I'm getting an LC-1 from another R1100RT owner and it may be here on Wednesday. I go back to work on Thursday and would rather know the trans is sorted by Wednesday, so the LC-1 will go on another day.

Pics linked here

One note to add. A lot has been written about how the older oilheads don't wear out the splines because they are ridden at higher revs. In my case I have never redlined and my typical shift point is between 3500 - 4500 rpm. I often ride in fifth at 60 or above and sometimes don't shift to 4th until 50mph or so. As I mentioned above this transimission has at least 80k miles on it with no spline lube in that time.

Did you mention why you replaced the tranny or I missed it?

I replaced it due to a 2nd gear skipping problem. It's had this since purchase at 95k miles and it now has 173,xxx miles. Rode the bike yesterday around the block and it feels good. Will take a longer ride in a bit to really make sure it's sorted.

Took the bike out for a shakedown (wet one at that) to make sure all is sorted and it's like a new bike! :grin: It's nice to have a 2nd gear that I can use. Went through all the gears as I rode around a few roads and all felt good. Shifting is smooth and better than the old one, which I actually thought shifted pretty good (and better than a 2000 R1100RT I tested before buying this one!). Anyway, it's always good to know I can reassemble something I've torn apart and get it all pretty much right. No extra fasteners save the two nuts for the battery tray attachment at the trans (since the studs are gone).

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the "new" trans. I've noticed in neutral the rear wheel no longer rotates as it did with the old trans. I wonder if this is more associated with a transmission wearing out and having increased friction? I never thought anything of this phenomenon until now since my ninja500 did it as well (although it was quite lessened with a new chain).

Update on the "new" trans. I've noticed in neutral the rear wheel no longer rotates as it did with the old trans. I wonder if this is more associated with a transmission wearing out and having increased friction? I never thought anything of this phenomenon until now since my ninja500 did it as well (although it was quite lessened with a new chain).

Evening Trobinson

It will probably start rotating again when the weather gets cold. (or even on a cooler morning just after start up)

It has more to do with the gear oil viscosity & gear drag on the shafts (it is a constant mesh trans).

The old "O" ring gear trans did it real bad even when warm.

Archived