headlight fail after grip ht switch yard sale

GMC

Last thing to do to button things up on my annual RT maintenance was to pull the grip heat switch apart. I've been nursing it along for a couple years, pulling it apart every year, cleaning it up and it works for another year. This time I let it "explode" when pulling it apart, the little spring and the metal ball now somewhere on my shop floor. Oh well...Got too impatient at end of day. Time to finally get a new switch.

So I button it back up as an empty switch for now, awaiting a new switch.

But then the headlights, and driving lights failed when I cranked it up. Hmmm.

Long day, so didn't even check the fuses yet, but thought I'd float this issue here.

I can flash the brights, but no brights on the normal bright switch position (only the "flash" position works), and no low beam, and no driving lights.

Can't imagine the headlights are tied to the grip heat, but I suppose its possible. Hard to believe it would be coincidence that the headlights fail just after screwing up my grip heat switch, but thats the question.

Will check fuses this week, and replace the switch (once I get my hands on one), but am scratching my head at where the problem initiated specifically (and therefore what will fix it).

Other notes: it's an RTP-P convert (so the switch may be different), and I did have the bike slightly torn apart in the shop for a couple weeks doing mild annual mx, so something else could have been a factor. But I didn't even have the front cowling off this time...

Last thing to do to button things up on my annual RT maintenance was to pull the grip heat switch apart. I've been nursing it along for a couple years, pulling it apart every year, cleaning it up and it works for another year. This time I let it "explode" when pulling it apart, the little spring and the metal ball now somewhere on my shop floor. Oh well...Got too impatient at end of day. Time to finally get a new switch.

So I button it back up as an empty switch for now, awaiting a new switch.

But then the headlights, and driving lights failed when I cranked it up. Hmmm.

Long day, so didn't even check the fuses yet, but thought I'd float this issue here.

I can flash the brights, but no brights on the normal bright switch position (only the "flash" position works), and no low beam, and no driving lights.

Can't imagine the headlights are tied to the grip heat, but I suppose its possible. Hard to believe it would be coincidence that the headlights fail just after screwing up my grip heat switch, but thats the question.

Will check fuses this week, and replace the switch (once I get my hands on one), but am scratching my head at where the problem initiated specifically (and therefore what will fix it).

Other notes: it's an RTP-P convert (so the switch may be different), and I did have the bike slightly torn apart in the shop for a couple weeks doing mild annual mx, so something else could have been a factor. But I didn't even have the front cowling off this time...

Morning GMC

Being able to flash the brights tells us that the lighting circuit (at least hi-beam side) is intact & has continuity.

There is no headlight fuse in the standard 1150RT but depending on the police set-up it (might) use fuse #9 for headlight power.

The 1150Rt uses 2 power inputs into the hi/lo switch for light power, one is for flash to pass (yours seems to be working) & the other comes from the load relief relay then to the R/H handlebar switch then either uses either a jumper (US bikes) or a headlight switch (European bikes) to send power over to the hi/lo switch.

I'm guessing that you have in some way defeated the power going from the R/H side over to the hi/lo switch.

Does your bike have an on/off headlight switch? (Let's start with knowing this)

Every RT-P I've ever seen has a "blackout" switch, BMW's term for the headlight on/off switch.

Morning Tri750

But the question is: does HIS RT-P have a headlight switch. I'm pretty sure that all US import RT-P's came with an off/on headlight switch but some have been converted to the civilian combo switch for a number of reasons (mostly easier to find & cheaper to buy from used parts sources)

69,000+ miles on my RT, and I can't recall ever seeing or using an on/off switch, but i'm not above being embarrassed to learn that I have one. I'll look tonight (or this week when i can get out to the shop), and check fuses. Sure be nice if it was just a matter of me being embarrassed...

left side has the normal lo/high/flash switch, then windscreen up/down, then horn switch/toggle, then grip heat. But right side may have something, so I'll look asap.

many thx

Afternoon GMC

If it has a headlight off/on switch then start your troubleshooting by making sure that it is in the on position.

headlight switch____

UP = On

Middle Position= parking lights

Down= all off

RT_P%20light%20switch_zpsrssasu3m.jpg

I will be mortified but truly happy to learn that I have made such a simple oversight, if that's the case. Will report back... or maybe I won't, to hide my shame, if that's all there is to it.

I'd rather be embarrassed and done than tearing the bike back apart chasing a smoking gun...

Afternoon GMC

You're not the first nor will be last to find that headlight switch after your lights won't work.

There IS an upside to this--- MUCH BETTER to have it happen at home in the garage than have it happen 400 miles from home on a dark deserted road in the middle of the night.

I have a friend that moved to another state a few years ago & had his RT-P headlight go out on him a long way from home in the dark of night. He had the bike towed to a motel in the next town & spent the night figuring to ride it in daylight until he could get it to a dealer.

He called me next morning before starting out just to see if I had any ideas on what might have happened to his headlight. I pointed out that his RT-P probably had a headlight switch & the phone went quiet then I could hear a muttered OH ShXXXX.

He actually knew about the RT-P switch but had forgotten about it as he never used it.

To this day he won't talk about it & never admitted that was the problem but he sure goes mighty quiet when asked about it.

One of these days I just might tell him that he could have ridden the bike to the next town by simply holding the flash-to-pass switch down.

Afternoon GMC

One of these days I just might tell him that he could have ridden the bike to the next town by simply holding the flash-to-pass switch down.

A little company for my misery on that... helps ease the sting.

And for that friend, he could have even taped that flash-to-pass switch in the "on" position. I've met a guy or two over my years that might consider that a great permanent fix!

Archived