IGNORED

Samsung smart windshield

fourteenfour

Guest Kakugo

Trying to market this as a safety feature is a joke, with the exception of the navigation feature.

Absolutely true, but it's a great way to make it mandatory, meaning everybody will be forced to buy either the finished product or the patents from you. That's exactly what Honda did for years with combined braking.

As the saying goes, the best investment is not a new technology, but the lobbying to make it mandatory.

A heads-down display. Interesting. How is that safer?

I like the larger info display, but it would useless to me except as a larger GPS display. Pass.

Trying to market this as a safety feature is a joke, with the exception of the navigation feature.

Absolutely true, but it's a great way to make it mandatory, meaning everybody will be forced to buy either the finished product or the patents from you. That's exactly what Honda did for years with combined braking.

As the saying goes, the best investment is not a new technology, but the lobbying to make it mandatory.

Yes, I agree with both of you. Adding the capability of handling phone calls and text messages while riding doesn't strike me as a move in the right direction.

Beemer Dood
Adding the capability of handling phone calls and text messages while riding doesn't strike me as a move in the right direction.

Really? I saw nothing about "handling phone calls and text messages while riding" in the video that I watched. Rather, it "...enables you to visualize the GPS navigator so you always know where to go, or, who's calling so you can decide if you want to stop and answer. You can also see who's texting or emailing." It does nothing that one can't already do with a phone mount except that it presents the information in a larger format and puts it into a location (a HUD) so it's much more 'in the line of sight' than would be the phone in a mount.

Airplane pilots have been using HUD's for decades because it places information directly into their line of sight. Many autos have similar displays already for some information, and there's no reason that this technology can't be applied here as well. I look forward to it being perfected.

szurszewski
Adding the capability of handling phone calls and text messages while riding doesn't strike me as a move in the right direction.

Airplane pilots have been using HUDs for decades because it places information directly into their line of sight.

Ah man - I just KNEW they were using their phones in-flight....

Really? I saw nothing about "handling phone calls and text messages while riding" in the video that I watched. Rather, it "...enables you to visualize the GPS navigator so you always know where to go, or, who's calling so you can decide if you want to stop and answer. You can also see who's texting or emailing." It does nothing that one can't already do with a phone mount except that it presents the information in a larger format and puts it into a location (a HUD) so it's much more 'in the line of sight' than would be the phone in a mount.

Airplane pilots have been using HUD's for decades because it places information directly into their line of sight. Many autos have similar displays already for some information, and there's no reason that this technology can't be applied here as well. I look forward to it being perfected.

They're giving you the ability to see incoming calls, and visual notifications of who's texting or sending email. It sure doesn't strike me as a positive safety addition to incorporate these features, particularly considering how many succumb to the temptation to talk, type, email, etc. f

I really do think that these distractions are a net minus in the safety column, rather than something that promotes safety.

Beemer Dood
They're giving you the ability to see incoming calls, and visual notifications of who's texting or sending email.

Those capabilities already exist by simply putting a phone in a mount so that the rider can see it. The difference here is that it's much closer to his line of sight and the information is presented much larger, so it's more easily read.

It sure doesn't strike me as a positive safety addition to incorporate these features, particularly considering how many succumb to the temptation to talk, type, email, etc.

I really do think that these distractions are a net minus in the safety column, rather than something that promotes safety.

If you want to say that the distractions of a phone and texting are "a net minus in the safety column," I'll agree. But that's a separate discussion. All this system is doing is changing it from a small, often hard−to−read display on a phone that is well below the rider's line of sight, into one that is easy to read and is much closer to his line of sight. If someone doesn't want to see this information, it's easy to simply put the phone in airplane mode. But many will want to see this information, and making that easier to do, DOES promote safety.

MANY riders are using GPS. The screen of the Garmin Nav V, the latest iteration, is only about 4 1/4" making the next−turn−directions only about 1/4" tall. This screen looks like the next−turn−directions are at least 1" tall (and perhaps taller). Instead of, those of us with aging eyes, being forced to squint, or move closer to the GPS to see the small display on its screen, taking our eyes WELL below the normal line of sight, this gives the information in a much easier to see format.

Fighter pilots don't think that a HUD display that gives them vital information is less safe. Just about every fighter in the inventory has them.

Fighter pilots don't think that a HUD display that gives them vital information is less safe. Just about every fighter in the inventory has them.

And, I'd suggest, your example points out an important distinction. The pilots here can chime in, but I think it's safe to say that their HUDs display only the most critical information, not extraneous, "gee, I'd like to know if Bill has emailed me about our tee time" stuff.

Maybe others are more connected while riding, but the last thing I want to see is a text message or email notification. I may be particularly under-talented in this respect, but I suspect that many riders can't handle this sort of external communication safely. But, I do use GPS while riding. I do think you're right that presenting that info on one's line of sight is an improvement. It's just the other stuff--texts, email, TV game shows, whatever--that I find problematic.

I suspect that we mostly agree. Best not to engage in some of these activities while under way, big screen or tiny screen notwithstanding.

It is easy enough today to use phones while riding.

Touch one number, use voice prompts.

Done.

Did it for years.

Never an issue.

Stopped a few years ago just because.

Rarely look at my GPS.

Just listen for her to say "turn right in 9/10ths of a mile.

"Bernie is already there, please accelerate you pitiful slug."

Flame suit on.

:lurk:

Beemer Dood
And, I'd suggest, your example points out an important distinction. The pilots here can chime in, but I think it's safe to say that their HUDs display only the most critical information, not extraneous, "gee, I'd like to know if Bill has emailed me about our tee time" stuff.

What is one man's "critical information" is another's frivolous message. I'd agree that an email about "our tee time" is not that important but then I don't play golf. If golf was my life I'd probably have a different opinion about it. But something like, "Dad has had a heart attack, please come home ASAP" would be considered by most of us to be a bit more important. I'd like to get that second message ASAP, not after I've racked up 500 miles in the wrong direction.

Maybe others are more connected while riding, but the last thing I want to see is a text message or email notification.

Then, for you, the phone side of this tool would be a distraction. But many of us are interested in who's calling and who's texting. I ignore calls and texts from most people until a gas or food stop, but if it was my wife or one of my kids, I'd pull over for either type of message. Someday it might say something like, "Your oil pressure is dangerously low!" or "Your left sparkplug gap needs adjusting," that many of us would find "of interest."

But, I do use GPS while riding. I do think you're right that presenting that info on one's line of sight is an improvement. It's just the other stuff--texts, email, TV game shows, whatever--that I find problematic.

I knew if we talked long enough we'd find some area of agreement. But do you really want to miss an episode of Family Feud? LOL

I don't need any distractions when I ride.

+1

I don't want any of that crap. Phone is in the bag, or in the pocket. If I hear it ring, or beep, it gets ignored until I arrive. If it's important, that's what voice mail is for.

Actually, it kinda makes me sick whenever I learn a little more about how many people around me have got all sorts of shit going on in their car, and apparently controlling their vehicle is a secondary consideration.

Indeed, Mike. The aircraft HUD provides you with essential information that, if you were distracted (and looked away) has the potential to kill you.

Texts, NAV and superfluous stuff should not be on a bike (or car) HUD. Looking at that stuff WILL kill you.

This is Samsung's equivalent to BMW's whizzy brakes: The answer to a question nobody asked.

A safety feature? HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I like the GPS integration, but the last thing I need is to see freaking notifications from my phone while riding.

Archived