IGNORED

R1100RS Air Filter Replacement

Pat Buzzard

Pat Buzzard

I've worked on R1100RT's for years and have a bit of experience, but here's a challenge: I replaced the air filter on a 97 R1100RS, but now I cannot get the lid to go back into place on the Air Box. Is there a secret to this that I'm missing? The Air Box lid on my RT was NEVER this difficult to replace, so I figure there must be some technique I'm missing.

Evening Pat

Try removing the new element THEN see if the cover will go on. Maybe the new element is keeping the cover from going on correctly.

I can't remember the exact trick, but whatever side (front or back) it seems like should go on first, put the other side on first. Front then back, iirc.

I can't remember the exact trick, but whatever side (front or back) it seems like should go on first, put the other side on first. Front then back, iirc.

+1. I don't quite recall either, but there was some fiddly trick. side opposite the clips first. I forget what it is. the tabs are silly, or it gets off to one side just enough. something like that. Just relax and make some close observations while working it around. you'll get it.

The 'hinged' part of the top runs into the back of the gas tank and won't allow it to sit down properly. I have to pull the rear of the tank loose (pull the bolt) and lift it up slightly to get the front part of the lid to engage.

Pat Buzzard

I'll give this a try. I love the looks and low mileage on this bike, (1997, 14k on the clock) but thus far it is harder to work on than the RT!

Install is exactly opposite of removal.

To remove, unclip and lift the rear.

To install, set down the rear and push down. The front will snap into place. Don't forget to reclip the latches

Tom

Archived