IGNORED

Tehachapi to Oakhurst back road ride!

mrduck

Friday 4/22, the infamous Tehachapi to Oakhurst Back Road Ride is on! :clap:

Why ride the boring highways when you could come along on a "somewhat entertaining" ride :/

And it's Earth Day!!! What a great day to go enjoy the greenery, burn up fossil fuel, and engage in some mildly Hoonish behavior!!

(disclaimer- Any tall tales you may have heard about past rides-rain, mud, gravel, cows, hillbillys, ice and snow, alien abductions- MAY or may not have some truth to them.)

But you WILL have a good time!

First meet spot Starbucks in Lancaster, Ave I, between 8 and 8:30

Next meet spot MILL STREET TEXACO,Rt 58 in Tehachapi between 9:30 and 10 am

First half http://goo.gl/maps/v7bRS

Second half http://goo.gl/maps/qRCGU

Lunch and gas in Porterville then on to Oakhurst.

It seems some evil techie has changed Google maps, so I can't figure out how to make changes, you GPS gurus feel free to jump in here.....

Gonna make a slight change to the second half of this route- Auberry to Powerhouse road, instead of going around Millerton lake...

Any newbies are more than welcome to come along. This is a ride your own pace ride- we spread out and regroup at the intersections- we haven't lost anybody yet (well,sort of) :thumbsup:

So, who's in?

Don J :wave:

I'm in, but will wait for the rest at China Grade/Airport intersection as I will be coming from San Luis Obispo via 58.

About what time will you reach that point?

I'm in, but will wait for the rest at China Grade/Airport intersection as I will be coming from San Luis Obispo via 58.

About what time will you reach that point?

About 10:30 - 11:00 or so. PM me your Phone #

Bill_Walker
we haven't lost anybody yet (well,sort of) :thumbsup:

Well, you did lose heyfrank and I two years ago, but only because I'm slow to put on my raingear and I had the previous year's route in my GPS. But all in all, I'd say we got the better end of the deal! We got to Oakhurst first, and weren't nearly as wet as you guys were when we got there.

Is a GPX file or the like available with the route?

I won't be able to join the group ride up, but would like to do the route if possible.

Is a GPX file or the like available with the route?

I won't be able to join the group ride up, but would like to do the route if possible.

Ya might wanna try your neighbor Bill Walker for the gps stuff......

We're doin' this off of paper maps and seat of the pants navigation!

(part of the adventure!)

CoarsegoldKid

Not sure how the guys get to Granite Road so look on the map paper or software for Granite Road out of OilDale near Bakersfield. Follow the squiggly line to Oakhurst. Your mileage may vary.

CoarsegoldKid
is a GPX file or the like available with the route?

Send me an email to coarsegoldkid@gmail.com and I'll send you a Garmin file.
Bigfish, do you want to ride together?

Sure Bill. We can meet at the Gas Station off Twin Oaks and the 78.

Let me know the meet time.

Are you planning the Big Bear / Angeles Crest route? Hopefully no fog this year. That was pretty dicy last year. Nice hot bowl of chili again on top of the Crest would be great too. I recall we barely made it there before they closed up.

BTW, send me your lodging info in Lancaster.

Oh, one more thing.... PM me the Tehachapi to Oakhurst GPS (GPX) route if you have the time. Or maybe I could stop by before the trip and you can educate me on adding routes to my Garmin Zümo 350.

Bigfish, do you want to ride together?

Sure Bill. We can meet at the Gas Station off Twin Oaks and the 78.

Let me know the meet time.

Are you planning the Big Bear / Angeles Crest route? Hopefully no fog this year. That was pretty dicy last year. Nice hot bowl of chili again on top of the Crest would be great too. I recall we barely made it there before they closed up.

BTW, send me your lodging info in Lancaster.

Oh, one more thing.... PM me the Tehachapi to Oakhurst GPS (GPX) route if you have the time. Or maybe I could stop by before the trip and you can educate me on adding routes to my Garmin Zümo 350.

You'll want to rethink Angeles Crest.

From CalDOT:

SR 2

[iN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]

IS CLOSED FROM ISLIP SADDLE TO 5 MI WEST OF BIG PINES (LOS ANGELES CO)

- DUE TO A ROCK & MUD SLIDE - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

ALL TRACTOR-SEMI TRAILER COMBINATIONS WITH 3 AXLES OR GREATER ARE

PROHIBITED FROM THE JCT OF I 210 /IN LA CANADA-FLINTRIDGE/ TO THE

ANGELES FOREST HIGHWAY (LOS ANGELES CO) - ALTERNATE ROUTES ARE AVAILABL

Of course this could change in the next couple of weeks...

At this time Big Pines Hwy is open and will get you through from Wrightwood.

See you guys in Tehachapi!

:wave:

• 2 weeks later...
JerryMather

Wrightwood to Newcomb's is closed at the gate until May or ? You'll need to ride down to the desert from Wrightwood.

Forecast shows ❄️️in Yosemite Fri/Sat, rain in the southland on both days. GERBINGS & a rain suit looks in order. Have fun😉

Newbies. Be afraid. very afraid. Mr. Duck is just looking for new sacrificial lambs. If you like the color red than join in as that's the tail light view you'll see most of the day. I'd join in but I have new riding pants and don't wish to soil them. :( Just kidding. But it will be a spirited ride to say the least!

I'd join in but I have new riding pants and don't wish to soil them. :( Just kidding. But it will be a spirited ride to say the least!

pbr%20pants_zps5nyj46c6.jpg

Oh Puleeeeze..... we are most gentlemanly with the pace....we even had the honor of having the distingushed Eddd come along one year!

Is it Friday yet?

Oh Puleeeeze..... we are most gentlemanly with the pace....we even had the honor of having the distingushed Eddd come along one year!

Is it Friday yet?

I'm thinking my CBR900RR might be a better choice to keep up at this "gentlemanly pace".

standard.jpg

Now if I just figure how to carry a weekend's worth of gear... :lurk:

Archived