IGNORED

Dangers of Spring riding and poor road patch work. Neil Peart goes down

Indy Dave

Here in Indiana, road crews are already out patching roads with loose fill. This is the stuff that gets dispersed all over the road as vehicles drive over it, leaving the holes needing patched again and the roads covered with marbles. I have also come across roads getting cracks filled with hot tar and then covering the tar with large amounts of sand. Yesterday, I saw a highway sand truck spreading sand across an entire lane of state highway to cover some small cracks that had been filled with hot tar. Maybe they have surplus of sand from our mild Winter - but this seemed like over kill and quite dangerous. I don't think enough consideration is given motorcycles when road repairs are done. I ride back roads 40 miles or so one way going to work and I've noticed lots of dangerous road work the last couple of weeks. I have 3 different routes I take to switch things up, and on every one I have been confronted by newly patched road work done poorly and new cuts across the road with just gravel fill. Be on the look out!

Neil Peart writes about his own encounter of sloppy road patch work, causing him to go down while on tour some years back (see link). He's never shared the story till now. I thought it could serve as a timely reminder for us all.

http://www.neilpeart.net/index.php?cID=286

It sounds like they are using a "cold patch". Usually (or it should be) it is a temporary fix until the weather turns and a proper HMA (hot) patch is done.

The proper way to fill an asphalt crack is to blow out the noncompressibles with compressed air, then fill the crack to within 1/4" of the surface. It looks better and you don't have to cover it with sand as tires can't get to it.

BUT, it's easier and faster to just squirt the stuff everywhere and then cover it with sand to protect vehicles while it sets. Thus the tar snakes. The tar outside of the crack and on the surface does nothing, which is just slightly less than what the tar in the crack does.

Guest Kakugo
I don't think enough consideration is given motorcycles when road repairs are done.

Road what? At least your roads get patched up. Ours are completely abandoned to themselves.

Intriguingly enough the excuse is always the same "There are no funds". Funny the neighboring province (20 miles away or less as the crow flies) has no such funding problems and roads are usually not merely patched up but resurfaced. Last time I was there (Saturday) I don't recall having to cross a customs check point or hearing people speak a different language.

Regardless, the biggest problem here are patches done after tubes or cables are repaired or replaced. These patches are very poorly done, and either stick up a full inch or more or sink well below road level.

Of course, the law speaks clearly: the road should be resurfaced as soon as weather conditions allow. Patches are only "temporary repairs".

:rofl:

It sounds like they are using a "cold patch". Usually (or it should be) it is a temporary fix until the weather turns and a proper HMA (hot) patch is done.

The proper way to fill an asphalt crack is to blow out the noncompressibles with compressed air, then fill the crack to within 1/4" of the surface. It looks better and you don't have to cover it with sand as tires can't get to it.

BUT, it's easier and faster to just squirt the stuff everywhere and then cover it with sand to protect vehicles while it sets. Thus the tar snakes. The tar outside of the crack and on the surface does nothing, which is just slightly less than what the tar in the crack does.

Yes, cold Patch - Thank you! Lots of that going on here and elsewhere I'd guess. Here's a shot of a bridge near my home where they have cold patched 3 times that I counted this Winter (and we had a mild Winter). You can see the heavy marbles. Not as worrisome is this instance.

The Tar Snake problem is being compounded every year as more and more snakes are added.

:rofl:

Some of our municipalities CLAIM road repairs are a priority. But it's kind of like Education (in Indiana). Every legislator is "for education" and it sounds good, but the reality is they cut funding and run it into the ground more ad ore every year. Our state (like most) has a acknowledged massive road and infrastructure issue. But nothing but patch work to address it as opposed to long range planning and funding of repairs.

We also have the patches that are built up or below the cuts in the road. Generaly, when they've filled in with gravel, that get compressed and under-filled. Several of those in the country on my ride. The cold patches Griff was mentioning, are well represented in my photo.

I know the article I linked to is a bit of a read - but two things I found overly interesting:

1) That the rider feels the the crumbing marbles/pebbles from the cold patch saved him from more injury/gear damage because the marbles were so prevalent that he slid across the road on them as opposed to the more abrasive road surface. This despite the marbles causing his off.

2) Neil describes The narrow paved two-lane wound along creeks and low ridges, through farmland and leafy woods, with many blind hills and corners. So our speed was “careful. Granted, "Careful is subjective -what's careful to Craig, Bernie or Mitch might be Ludicrous Speed to yours truly - but for what the off seems to be, the impact was enough to bend both front and rear subframes. That seems a little remarkable, apparently the gravel didn't have the same effect on the bike.

• 2 weeks later...

The only serious "down" I encountered on my bike was in 2010 and also due to "tar and gravel" road patching. This practice really needs to stop but with a country $19 trillion in debt, I doubt it will. When I went down, my ankle became positioned between my bike frame and the ground resulting in me now having a metal plate plus 13 screws in my ankle. But the surgeon and the PT did their job and I am 99.99% as good as new. Being a drummer, foot and ankle do what is asked of them, I do leg presses of 400 pounds at the gym and have been known to run my wife's legs off when on vacation. So all-in-all, I learned more and am a better rider now.

John Ranalletta

Took a Brown Co. ride yesterday. Roads in good shape except for 43 from 48 to 54. The tar snakes are numerous and greasy. Felt the tires slide around in a couple of turns. Be careful.

Avoid 37 to/from Bloomington. 13 mile backup in northbound lanes yesterday. Likely due to I-69 related construction.

Thanks John. Planning on doing a shake down ride to Madison tomorrow and coming back through Brown County.

Archived