IGNORED

R1150RT Starter Removal

Jim Moore

Hi Guys,

I may be looking at an R1150RT today. If the owner lets me I'd like to inspect the splines. How much plastic do I need to pull off to remove the starter?

You will need to remove the left side panel. If memory serves me right you would also need to remove the left foot peg plate.

Morning Jim

That isn't a 20 minute job.

Basically the belly & L/H side Tupperware need to be removed, then in most cases the L/H foot peg side plate removed including disconnecting shift linkage (don't forget to disconnect battery)

If you have a starter that the inner bolt is not too tight then sometimes the starter bolt can be accessed with a ball end socket or double flex joint.

That would be some exceptional BMW owner to allow the starter to be removed on a bike that is for sale.

Left hand foot plate can stay in place. The starter motor can be manipulated out of that gap.

As DR says, a wobbly drive is a great help for getting to that lower inboard bolt.

roger 04 rt

I've done this half a dozen times now. If you stay focused,

10 minutes to remove left side plastic

10 minutes to disconnect battery ground;

remove ball-end of shift linkage at shift lever (lower ball), a small pin at ball, pop ball joint apart, keep an eye on the grease felt washer;

remove starter (universal joint & 6-8" extension for hex drive socket)

10 minutes to inspect clutch

20 minutes to get everything back together

Remember to reset the TPS (key on, rotate throttle twice, etc.)

I agree with Roger above ^^^.

I removed mine several times to clean the starter bendix and once to check the splines. I can do the whole thing now in under an hour.

Archived