IGNORED

oil level

Jharpphoto

This AM after my commute to work (1 hr stop and go) I checked my oil level and found the level pretty low in the sight glass. Typically I place the bike on the center stand and wait about 10-15 min to check it. Today I wasn't able to go back out to check the oil until it had been sitting about an hour and 20min. Would that length of time cause the oil level to be lower than If I checked it after sitting for 15 min?

This AM after my commute to work (1 hr stop and go) I checked my oil level and found the level pretty low in the sight glass. Typically I place the bike on the center stand and wait about 10-15 min to check it. Today I wasn't able to go back out to check the oil until it had been sitting about an hour and 20min. Would that length of time cause the oil level to be lower than If I checked it after sitting for 15 min?

Morning Jharpphoto

It might, depends on how much more drain-back you get vs the cooling/shrinking of the alloy crankcase.

Are you sure it (oil level) is low & not over-full & above top of sight glass? Get some help & lean the bike slightly to the right & see if you can then see oil part way up the sight glass.

I called my local shop to get their opinion and apparently having the bike sit that long in the cold (35F) is enough to bring the bike temp down below operating temp. That is enough to have the oil level read low in the glass. Just a FYI kind of thing.

Thanks DR for your excellent help as always.

You missed one thing. Hot bike at operating temp. You need to leave the bike on the side stand for 10-15mins. then on the center stand for 5 to check your oil. This allows oil to drain from the cooler before the oil thermostat closes off. We call it the 'Oil Dance'

My rule of thumb is that if you can see air when it's on the center stand, it's not too full, and if you can see oil on the side stand, it's not too low. With 4 quarts in there, it's really hard to get low enough to do any damage, but overfilling can be bad for seals.

As others have suggested, to get an accurate memasurement, put it on the side stand for 10 minutes, then center stand on a level surface. Even a slight tilt from level will change the reading significantly.

Don_Eilenberger

My rule of thumb - if there is oil showing in the window after the bike sat on the centerstand overnight, go for a ride. If not - find out why.

I've never had to find out why.

On an R1200R the "oil dance" is unnecessary - the cooler is located at sump level, and drains back into the sump as soon as the bike is shut off.

People WAY over-obsess with oil levels.. IMHO.

Archived