IGNORED

Can R1100RT heater ducts be installed on R1100RS oil cooler?

Christo

All winter I've been thinking how I might fashion a duct system behind my R1100RS's oil cooler to channel heat up into my newly installed OEM hand guards. Then when reading my factory Rider's Manual for the first time, I learned that R1100RTs have factory heater ducts!

Thus my question above.

I know the duct work leading up into whatever vents to RT might have won't work on an RS. I'm just wondering if the vent attachments and attached air flow adjuster valves will. I'll figure out the rest of the plumbing.

To help with this determination, here is a pic of the oil line connections to the oil cooler. They seem to be right behind the cooler, but perhaps the RT oil lines are in the same orientation??

20160320_162440c_zpssj4bixxg.jpg

I'm 99% sure that this would be a custom project from the radiator back. You would have to fabricate ducts (or perhaps a Y-shaped duct), and doors.

I haven't seen a R1100RS up close in some time, but I don't remember seeing any speaker grills or vents.

003.jpg

In all candor, the vents on my R1100RT don't make nearly as much of a difference as the grip heaters. However, they do add some heat, as I discovered after 2 summers of riding with the air doors in the wrong (open) position.

Same here.

You can lean forward and hold your cold hand in front of the duct to warm it,

I ended up buying the BMW Pro Winter gloves and with heated grips, end of cold hands .

Thanks for the replies!

I was going to direct the warm air to my hand guards only. I even had a crazy idea of running a duct inside my jacket.

As for available heat, on cold days, I've noticed how much heat comes up out of the gap between the steering column and the gauges. And that is with no duct work. So I had the idea.

My question is:

Is the oil cooler and the orientation of the oil lines the same between the RT and the RS? Notice how my oil lines angle back towards the middle of the back of the oil cooler. I was hoping someone could look at their oil cooler and ducts and compare to the picture above, and see if they think the ducts would fit on mine.

My question is:

Is the oil cooler and the orientation of the oil lines the same between the RT and the RS? Notice how my oil lines angle back towards the middle of the back of the oil cooler. I was hoping someone could look at their oil cooler and ducts and compare to the picture above, and see if they think the ducts would fit on mine.

The plumbing appears to be completely different:

OilCoolers.png

Oil-line-left.jpg

Oil-line-right.jpg

Thanks for the info and for taking the pics! I see now!

Looks like the RT ports to the sides and the RS to the rear of the oil cooler. So no, the RT vent won't work. If I try anything, I'll have to fashion something myself.

I suppose I could try to get the RT vents to work by cutting channels/holes for the oil lines, but it may not be worth it.

Thanks again Selden!

A lot of work for very, very little noticeable return (no pun intended).

Electric gloves would be a much greater ROI.

And transfer to other bikes.

Do you have heated grips?

Some RS/RSL's did not have them.

You can add those, but w/heated gloves I rarely use heated grips.

After looking again at my oil line config, I decided to shelve the project for now. Thanks for the feedback!

I have heated grips, but the right does not work. I found the problem, a broken black lead wire near the end of the grip. I'm not exactly sure how to fix. I could try tweezers and a soldering iron, or I may remove the grip if that would make the job easier.

Broken%20Wire_zpso09azhec.jpg

When I bought the bike, it had a FirstGear X-Treme controller on it and wiring, but no vest or gloves. Price for vest and gloves online is around $330. I'd like to see if I can find a better deal to try them out, as I don't know how well they actually work.

FirstGear_zpsfpisjklr.jpg

mythreesons

On those heated grips, check out Chris, the BMW repair guy that cusses a lot but he's really good. I forget his last name but he has a great tutorial on fixing heated grips. Google it because I don't know his website right off hand. I just fixed one on my RS. It was actually fun and quite nice to have them both working!

I actually watched this video a while ago, but he skipped the part about getting the grip off. He mentioned he uses compressed air.

Mythreesons, did you use air to get the grip off?

Since I can actually see that one of the main connections is broken, I'm not sure I need to separate the rubber from the heat element like Chris did. But having never taken a grip off, I have no idea how those wires are routed and if I would have any better access to them if I were to remove the grip. It might be worth trying to solder in place.

mythreesons

I was able to get the grip off without compressed air just by working it back and forth (twisting). I also remember Chris gluing his grip back on. I didn't use any glue and it turned out just fine. Mine was the throttle side like yours.

I'll attempt to repair it without removing, and then go for the removal. If I get into trouble, I'll reach out. Thanks!

Archived