IGNORED

2011 RT front axle bolt

RPG

I'm helping a buddy this weekend with new tires and I am guessing we need a special took to remove the front axle. Does anyone know which to get?

thanks,

RPG

Some spark plug sockets will work if you reverse them and add an extension. Look for one with a 22mm (7/8") hex on top.

14491080504_3f6d6f15bb_m.jpg

Otherwise, you can purchase one, just search Google for "bmw 22mm axle tool". Lots of options for $10-$30.

Morning Rick

It sounds like you need it this weekend so don't have time to order one.

A 7/8" OD Coupling Nut from Lowes or Home Depot works good (basically just a long 7/8" OD nut)

Or a long 7/8" OD lug nut from an auto part store will work.

You can even use a use a 7/8" hexhead bolt with a nut screwed on then the bolt end peened or welded to keep the nut tight (basically a double 7/8" OD nut.

Or 7/8" headed hexhead bolt with a hole drilled in the threaded end to allow a screwdriver to go through the hole & turn the axle out.

Or just use a 7/8" headed hexhead bolt with a pair or vice grips on the bolt threads.

About anything that is hex, 7/8" OD, & long enough to go into the axle end & have enough sticking out to get a wrench on the part sticking out.

I carry a 7/8" coupling nut in my 1200 bikes that has a hole drilled in it cross ways so all I need to do is stick a screw driver, or extension, or rod, or anything into the hole to remove the front axle (works like the old 1100/1150 spark plug wrench)

038902004208sm.jpg

Morning Rick

It sounds like you need it this weekend so don't have time to order one.

A 7/8" OD Coupling Nut from Lowes or Home Depot works good (basically just a long 7/8" OD nut)

Or a long 7/8" OD lug nut from an auto part store will work.

You can even use a use a 7/8" hexhead bolt with a nut screwed on then the bolt end peened or welded to keep the nut tight (basically a double 7/8" OD nut.

Or 7/8" headed hexhead bolt with a hole drilled in the threaded end to allow a screwdriver to go through the hole & turn the axle out.

Or just use a 7/8" headed hexhead bolt with a pair or vice grips on the bolt threads.

About anything that is hex, 7/8" OD, & long enough to go into the axle end & have enough sticking out to get a wrench on the part sticking out.

I carry a 7/8" coupling nut in my 1200 bikes that has a hole drilled in it cross ways so all I need to do is stick a screw driver, or extension, or rod, or anything into the hole to remove the front axle (works like the old 1100/1150 spark plug wrench)

038902004208sm.jpg

Yep! That is exactly what I had in my tool-roll for my prior '07 RT! I went one step further and thread in a standard bolt, with generous amount of JB Weld in the thread (I wish that I owned a welder!) to give me a smaller hex. size that I could grab with a standard socket or wrench.

Archived