IGNORED

What size of wrench for these little bolts?

Daxamundo

My bike came with these fold-out highway 'pegs' and one of them needs to be tightened a bit. I tried hex/Allen wrench sizes 2.5 mm and 3 mm, but 2.5 is too small and 3 is too large. 1/8" hex doesn't work either. Is there an in-between size I'm maybe missing? I figured it would be metric, but I don't know the manufacturer for these particular pegs, so might be Imperial.

20160317_224119_HDR_zpsprwibahy.jpg

20160317_224136_HDR_zpsondzijom.jpg

Maybe 7/64 hex? I don't have that, so if that sounds about right, I'll have to pick one up.

Guest Kakugo

If 2.5 is too small and 3.00mm too large, yes those are SAE 7/64".

Unless some truly obscure company made a 2.75mm Allen, there isn't an intermediate between 2.5mm and 3.00mm.

If 2.5 is too small and 3.00mm too large, yes those are SAE 7/64".

Unless some truly obscure company made a 2.75mm Allen, there isn't an intermediate between 2.5mm and 3.00mm.

Thanks, I'll pick up one of those 'swiss army' Allen wrench sets!

Those heads are likely rounded out . The original pegs are "J Pegs"

Top of the line stuff. If you ever remove them, be extra careful as the bolts are so small they cross thread easily.

Replacement components are available from CVM Touring

Joe Frickin' Friday
I figured it would be metric, but I don't know the manufacturer for these particular pegs, so might be Imperial.

They are Sahara Pegs; I own a set myself. The bolts are not metric. I don't know the size off the top of my head, but if you've bracketed it as being between 2mm and 3mm, then Kakugo's right: it must be 7/64".

If the heads are rounded off, you can get replacements wherever fasteners are sold. If your nearest hardware store doesn't have them, you might try www.mcmaster.com. Wherever you buy, make sure you get stainless.

Mitch...how do you like them? Looking for some pegs to stretch out on long rides. Looks like they have some for the new RT. Their phone number indicates Austin Texas. Going to try to go by next month and see them while in town for MotoGP

I sold all versions of their pegs for years. I have the original Elf pegs on my 1100RT.

They are very well made. The only issues we had were as mentioned, the small bolts (stainless) threading into aluminum were very easy to cross thread of you weren't careful.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Mitch...how do you like them? Looking for some pegs to stretch out on long rides. Looks like they have some for the new RT. Their phone number indicates Austin Texas. Going to try to go by next month and see them while in town for MotoGP

Like Tri750, I had Elf pegs on my 1100RT and liked them, so I bought the Sahara pegs as soon as I bought my R1200RT. I like that the pretty much disappear when not in use. During use, I find that I have to make a bit of effort to angle my foot so that it doesn't want to slide off the end of the peg, but it's not bad. I would get them again.

Archived