IGNORED

Performance Award

Sonor

Well it happened, i received a performance award the other day going home from work. Here's the deal -

I take a rider safety course every other year. I try for every year but it doesn't work out that way. So to be honest, it is every other year. I pay for some of them some I find for free (bikesafenc.com). In all of the courses I have been taught you do what you can to get out of a dangerous situation. Well I was driving my wife's 96 Civic home (small hatch back) and due to construction was avoiding the two right lanes so I was in the left lane behind a pickup truck. The speed in this zone was post at 55 which means average speed is around 65. The pick up kept slowing, speeding, slowing, speeding, and crossing lanes. Once out of the construction zone I could not get to the right lane - people would fly up on me and about take my tail off to jump into the middle lane and move around. When that wasn't happening someone would be beside me in the middle lane. Next thing I know the truck is slowing to 60 in a 65 zone and the middle has an opening. I floor it, jump into the middle lane to get around this guy and there is a trooper with a gun right at me.

He and I chatted for a while, nice guy. He was amazed and said, "I have never seen anyone with a clean record. That with my notes that state you were honest and very cordial will probably get your ticket erased."

Chances of that? Probably ziltch. Point to the story, trying to do what I felt at the time was for my safety was not the correct action. Make sure you weigh your options when faced with a similar situation.

As Russel says "I'd rather do the right thing for my safety and be there to explain it to the judge, rather than the other option."

I'm still marveling on how flooring the wife's 96 Civic can get up enough speed to even register on radar... :lurk:

There used to be a guy in north Georgia who went by the name "Shamu." He was at least 300 pounds. He was out with a bunch of riders in Alabama once, and crested a hill well above the posted limit on his Honda Helix. There was a cop on the other side of the hill with a radar gun. He looked at the Helix. He looked at Shamu. He looked at his radar gun, shook his head in disbelief, and Shamu didn't get a performance award.

Oh eddd, I wish it were so. But we keep that car in great shape and have used Amsoil in it for the last 12 years. That thing will fly when pushed.

• 2 weeks later...
As Russel says "I'd rather do the right thing for my safety and be there to explain it to the judge, rather than the other option."

Yeah, faith in the system. Go to court, tell it to the judge.

Update: At the time of winning said award, the ST showed me the award and said, "This is your court date, but you can go to the court house during these hours any weekday before and talk with the DA.{tried that, not true}." He also said, "When you go to court they will have you talk with the DA {actually the assistant} and they can pull up your driving record. That with my notes of you being honest and good natured will go along way."

Court date yesterday

I checked in and was directed to the Assistant DA. I go to speak with her and she said, "Do you wish to take care of this today?" I said that I had never done this before what are my options. During the options explanation I thought I had a chance to jump in and express what happened. It was clear they had no intention of hearing my side of the story. So out of the options, the best one was to get a postponement, get a copy of my driving record, and come back for court. Apparently the DA could not pull up the driving record nor could they see the ST's notes.

Gotta love government ...

I've come to believe that LEO's will say things at the side of the road to ease the tension and make it sound like you can get out of this easy, so forget about being angry at them (or defending your position) for writing the ticket. I mean, if they really wanted to let it slide, why would they write it in the first place?

lawnchairboy

I got a ticket in n NC-70, trooper cut me a big break, mostly I think because I went by him so fast that when he lit me up I don't think he thought he would ever see me again. I had my helmet off and was off the bike when he caught up. He thanked me for stopping & I told him I was too old for crazy.

I didn't even have my license. He wrote me for 15 over, which was generous. I went to the ADA and they had a rubber stamp ( I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't witness it myself) that said something to the effect of "9mph over". No insurance hit for me, give the state its money, have a nice day. I appreciated the trooper's discretion & it could have been worse.

Anyone who thinks the majority of traffic enforcement isn't about the Benjamin's is living in a dream world.

I've come to believe that LEO's will say things at the side of the road to ease the tension and make it sound like you can get out of this easy, so forget about being angry at them (or defending your position) for writing the ticket. I mean, if they really wanted to let it slide, why would they write it in the first place?

I believe you are 100% correct about easing tension. As for the letting it slide, this ST said, "with these new guns as soon as I clock you it is in the system. I have to give you a ticket." Again, is it true?

• 4 weeks later...

So here is the final installment on this issue. Today was the second court date. I knew that if I showed up on time, the lines were going to be long. I showed late and walked right up to the check in person. He verified that I was to be there and sent me to the ADA line. My name was called and I walked up to the ADA. He said exactly the same thing as the first day and he was a different ADA. He said, "81 in a 65, do you wish to take care of this today?" I said, yes and that I was here a month ago talking with Vanessa. I didn't have to say another thing he said, "so you have a copy of your driving record with you?" To which I responded yes and a certification that my speedometer is incorrect. He looked at the driving record just glanced at the cert and said, "Well it is reduced to a non moving violation. The cert only makes me feel better about this decision."

Lesson learned - If you have a good or great driving record take it with you which means go to DMV first to get it. Validating your speedo is off means nothing. Also, they did not want to hear any reasons or talk, just how you are going to plead.

Archived