IGNORED

Prepositioning gear for riding in Europe

BarryBeemer

BarryBeemer

We'll be spending about a month in Italy this summer with opportunities to get some riding in. Just looking for any ideas how folks have gotten their helmets, jackets, boots, and pants over there. Extra luggage or some other shipping service???

Inside your bike's luggage system? You're close enough to the border to take advantage of Air Canada's bike shipping offer (if it's still valid) to ship your bike anywhere in the world for ~$700 CAN. I think Marty has used it.

Extra luggage.

This is no-hassle and way cheaper option than getting the gear shipped.

Shipping that heavy stuff is surprisingly expensive, you could probably buy a new set of gear in Europe for less than the shipping.

Inside your bike's luggage system? You're close enough to the border to take advantage of Air Canada's bike shipping offer (if it's still valid) to ship your bike anywhere in the world for ~$700 CAN. I think Marty has used it.

Don't think they are shipping the bike. AC will renew the offer in a few weeks. As to bringing it on the plane, I haven't a clue. I fly in jeans/t-shirt and carry nothing as all is packed in/on bike.

Enjoy the ride, it's wonderful over there!

BarryBeemer

Thanks, all, for the input. Will be borrowing a friend's bike there. Planning the extra luggage option.

Thanks!

Arizona Al is most experienced at Euro riding. I would check-in with him.

All keeps a bike over there and I assume he keeps gear there as well.

• 1 month later...

Last year we carried our gear over to Ireland and left all of it there except the boots and gloves. We had picked up a couple of decent helmets at a price I couldn't refuse before heading over, and brought our previously enjoyed and slightly worn jackets and pants. Everything for the wife and I fit into the allowable 2 bags of luggage (size /weight, 1 checked bag each @ 50 lbs / bag if I remember correctly). If need be you could always wear the boots since they don't weigh you at check in, wearing the helmet might get you a few looks though...

Rick

Francois_Dumas
Arizona Al is most experienced at Euro riding. I would check-in with him.

This is not 'entirely' correct of course...... :D:D

We have dozens of members who live in Europe. There are quite a few living in the US who ride in Europe every year.

My wife and I did 5 weeks in western Europe Sept/Oct last year.

In one suitcase goes the gear and in the other goes our clothes. One carry on for the laptop etc.

This way we don't have any extra charges. When I go by myself everything goes into one suitcase aand I have a small carry on.

One other idea, if you don't have the room in your suitcase for all your m/c gear, is to carry your helmets onto the plane.

Archived