IGNORED

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Bud

Well, the trade I thought I had lined up for a F 800 GS didn't work out.

I still have the 09 GS and the 99 Boston Green RT in the garage. The GS has Wilburs and the RT has Ohlins, both ride really well.

Want to get down to one bike.

Still thinking a F 800 would be the way to go for me. Gas tank under the seat for a lower CG and less tippiness, still tall enough for my large frame and high enough to get over bumps with a 21" front tire.

Isn't it fun to think about your next ride?

Off to TN for a few days visit with some sailing friends. Home next week and going to get serious.

Also have to clear out stuff in my wood shop. Several things I haven't used for a long time are going to go, midi-lathe, joiner, biscuit joiner, pen making supplies, router jigs. It's time to simplify some of my life. Never have a work place as clean and neat as some folks on this board but it can still be improved.

Keeping the table saw, band saw, CNC machine, sanders, router table and router.

And, Nancy, much to her credit, never criticizes how cluttered my shop gets. Thank God I married up, waaaaaaaayyyyyy UP! :thumbsup:

Take both bikes to a dealer.

Leave with one 800.

Many ways to do it.

At your age time's a wastin...

:grin:

Take both bikes to a dealer.

Leave with one 800.

Many ways to do it.

At your age time's a wastin...

:grin:

Well said/very simple solution! All done in an hour.

Sure, it is easy to go to a dealer and spend money.

But, I'm not wanting to do that for two reasons.

I just bought a boat that I'm farkling. You think bike stuff costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$????

Double that for a boat.

Secondly, I'm too frugal to take my bikes to a dealer as I would get about half of what I could sell them for myself. :dopeslap:

Rather have the extra cash in my pocket instead.

But that is just me, I'm happy for everyone who buys new bikes so they eventually end up as new bikes and I can buy them. :clap::grin:

Bought the 8gs thinking it would be much lighter than the 12gs. Sold it after a few hundred miles/almost as heavy and not close in feel. The 700gs is what I was looking for and I have one now for when I get old and weak...which happened about 10 years ago. :dopeslap:

Bought the 8gs thinking it would be much lighter than the 12gs. Sold it after a few hundred miles/almost as heavy and not close in feel. The 700gs is what I was looking for and I have one now for when I get old and weak...which happened about 10 years ago. :dopeslap:

The published weights of the 700, 461# and the 800, 472# are both less than the 1200, 525#.

With an 11 pound difference between the two, the weight can not be the only reason you bought the 700.

What is it about the 700 that made you decide it was the bike for you?

roadscholar

The 800 is a dirt bike you can ride on the street. The 700 (or 650) is a street bike you can ride in the dirt. Changing a few things (gearing, engine tune, suspension) makes a big difference. You have to ride both to understand, they couldn't be more different.

Thanks for the information Bill.

I thought Marty was talking only about weight.

See you have one in your sig line.

Still have it?

Tell me what you like an don't like about the 800.

Thanks

Bud, I also did not bond with my 800gs when I went back into riding. I did not like the way it turned with the 21", felt the front brakes were a little weak, front suspension was harsh, and after 5 windshields I could not get around the buffeting and noise they created. My DL650 worked better. My new to me 2012 1200gs does not FEEL any heavier riding it over the 800. When I installed Woody's 19"/17" tubeless wheels on the 800 it became a much better handling bike in my opinion. Turned in much easier. Still the noise and buffeting was why I sold.

roadscholar
I did not like the way it turned with the 21", felt the front brakes were a little weak, front suspension was harsh, and after 5 windshields I could not get around the buffeting and noise they created. My DL650 worked better.

No offense to Dougie but he, like many others got an 800 for the wrong reasons. To paraphrase my post above, "the 800 is a Big Nasty DIRTBIKE first and foremost that you can ride on the street". It has a 21" front wheel, front forks off a KTM 950/990 (they're identical on the outside), much lower gearing, and a narrow water-cooled twin in a high state of tune that has an abrubt and unforgiving power delivery (my bike is an early one so there may have been improvements), because that's it's mission. It was designed for aggressive offroad riding and to sacrifice onroad manners.

I also had a DL650, left it in Colorado for 8 years and hardly ever rode it. Great motor, nice vanilla streetbike, sucked offroad, and to me was boring after 30 minutes. It was built to a price point and consequently had crappy componentry.

Part of the problem was BMW's marketing department calling the smaller in stature one a 650 or 700, so as not to intimidate women or entry level riders which probably worked, some. But it also had an effect of keeping experienced riders away because of that stigma, and they chose an 800 instead. If they'd just called them the BAD 800 and the Good 800 it might've worked out better : )

For comparison's sake the 800 is snatchy, loves to powerslide, pull the front wheel up, soak up whoops, and is remarkably good in soft sand. But it's also annoyingly high revving and vibrates on the road at hwy speeds. A full day of it wears me out, whereas the 650 is geared super long and is relaxing to cruise at 90 and a hundred for long periods. Obviously won't accelerate or carry loads like a 1200 but that seems it's only shortfall. 650 is fine on dirt roads and the odd jeep trail but doesn't cope well with serious offroading. Although it is pretty good in sand for one reason.

The long wheelbase that the 800 and KTM 950Adv share, which BMW copied for good reason. 62.2" vs. 59.75 for the 1200GS gives it uncanny stability for it's size, on and off road.

Recently I've ridden a friend's '15 800 Adv a few times and was surprised how it combined the attributes of the other two. Smoother, quieter, geared long like the 650/700, and nice wind management with the larger windshield, I'd think fine for long distance. Speaking of windshields I briefly rode a standard 800 with an Aeroflow w/s and was really impressed, they are pricey but well worth it.

Anyway just one opinion, everyone's different. The best thing is to go test ride one or both, then decide.

Thank you both for your impressions.

I've learned a lot on this forum by reading about the experiences and observations of other riders.

Guest Kakugo

My dealer gave me all parallel twin models as courtesy bikes over the years.

The 700 is a big step forward over the 650, a bike I could not get off fast enough and which galdly I had to keep for a single day.

But I really, really liked the 800. This is probably due to the fact I love old Honda trailie twins and the 800 is far closer to them than BMW will ever admit. Only with modern suspension, far more power, lower fuel consumption, ABS etc. ;)

The 800GS is the only parallel twin I'd ever consider buying. Really capable bike, well balanced and able to handle a bit of dirt. Not feeling like Goliath riding a minibike is another major bonus.

The published weights of the 700, 461# and the 800, 472# are both less than the 1200, 525#.

With an 11 pound difference between the two, the weight can not be the only reason you bought the 700.

What is it about the 700 that made you decide it was the bike for you?

First I find it had to believe that the 800 is only 11 lbs heavier. The 700 feels much lighter. Must admit I've never read the specs just as I've never taken a test ride. The 700 is for later when I find the 12 to heavy. If that doesn't happen I'll have it lowered and give it to my 5' tall daughter. To be honest I was in the store in chicago and they had a white one sitting there. I liked the look and told Mike I'd take it. Came back in about 6 weeks and rode it home.

I don't do logic at my age/way to late to try something new.

roadscholar

800, makes you want to try stupid things..

Picture%203434.jpg

Picture%203429.jpg

Picture%203428.jpg

650, not so much : )

007-L.jpg

1200, don't think I'd try this.

004-L.jpg

Archived