IGNORED

94 R1100RS Transmission Issue

Jim Moore

Hi Folks,

I have a 94 R1100RS that is having a little problem. If I downshift from 4th to 3rd and roll on the throttle enthusiastically the transmission pops out of gear momentarily (I think. That's what it feels like.) at about 6500 rpm. It's a pretty big lurch. It doesn't do it in any other gear, and it doesn't do it if I go from 2nd to 3rd, only 4th to 3rd.

I know there were issues with trannys in the older oilheads. Is this a common issue? Is there a fix? I can kinda ride around it. Is it going to get worse if I ignore it?

Thanks,

Hi Folks,

I have a 94 R1100RS that is having a little problem. If I downshift from 4th to 3rd and roll on the throttle enthusiastically the transmission pops out of gear momentarily (I think. That's what it feels like.) at about 6500 rpm. It's a pretty big lurch. It doesn't do it in any other gear, and it doesn't do it if I go from 2nd to 3rd, only 4th to 3rd.

I know there were issues with trannys in the older oilheads. Is this a common issue? Is there a fix? I can kinda ride around it. Is it going to get worse if I ignore it?

Evening Jim

Somewhat of a common issue on some early gearboxes with miles on them. Usually caused by rounded off shift dogs, and/or bearing wear, and/or shift fork wear.

With yours only happening on the downshift that probably means some shaft movement from worn bearings.

I haven't even seen one get better & they usually keep getting worse (especially every time they slip out of then back into gear)

If you want to prolong what you have then try to not allow it to jump out of then back into gear engagement (basically whatever you are doing when it jumps out of gear try not to do that any more)

Added: you might go over the external shift lever attachment (little lever on trans that shift linkage hooks to) to make sure it is tight on the splines & the pinch bolt is tight. If that lever is loose on the splines it might not be making a full travel shift)

Hi Folks,

Evening Jim

Somewhat of a common issue on some early gearboxes with miles on them. Usually caused by rounded off shift dogs, and/or bearing wear, and/or shift fork wear.

With yours only happening on the downshift that probably means some shaft movement from worn bearings.

I haven't even seen one get better & they usually keep getting worse (especially every time they slip out of then back into gear)

If you want to prolong what you have then try to not allow it to jump out of then back into gear engagement (basically whatever you are doing when it jumps out of gear try not to do that any more)

Added: you might go over the external shift lever attachment (little lever on trans that shift linkage hooks to) to make sure it is tight on the splines & the pinch bolt is tight. If that lever is loose on the splines it might not be making a full travel shift)

Thanks DR. i'll check out the shifter linkages and try to keep the enthusiasm under control. In the long run is it worth fixing or should I be looking for a transmission?

Hi DR,

Another question if you don't mind. Will a transmission from a 2000 R1100RT fit in this 94 RS?

Thanks,

Here is a good writeup from Anton about the different R1100 transmission.

LINK

Sounds like you have the expected 3rd gear "skip"

As far as I know, all R1100 transmissions are physically interchangeable. There were just some minor changes (updates) inside. I know the transmission from my '00 1100RT ended up going into a 1100RS, but I couldn't tell you what year the RS was.

Thanks for the link. I guess this answers my question.

"All three versions are dimensionally the same, and interchangeable, except the M93 had different internal gearing."

Archived