IGNORED

Rain treatment on windshield

Stbell

I have a 2015 R1200 RT. I just returned from doing a long distance ride, most of which was in the rain. I was curious if anyone out there used rain-x or some other application on your windshield to improve visibility while riding in the rain. Any suggestions appreciated.

Steve

I remember reading somewhere that Rain-X on plastic is a really bad idea. I also remember reading on a different forum that Pledge works great though I have not tried it.

Do you actually look through your windshield on your RT at any point while riding? Regardless of the height of the shield on an RT, I have always looked over the shield, not through it.

^^^ What he said.

Rain-X on plastic is indeed not a good idea. I researched this a few years ago, and contacted a few manufacturers - all warned against it.

I have used Pledge lemon furniture polish for 20 years on all my windshields. It works like a charm, is cheap, and functions as a wax in the rain to help with beading. However, Keith is right, you should be looking over the shield, not through it. Even a shrimp like me can do it on an RT.

-MKL

Rain-X has quite a bit of alcohol in it. Which is not friendly on Acrylics or polycarbonates. Effects are cumulative. Can cause crazing and in certain thinner products promote cracks. The crazing is all you would likley do on a bike screen, and once it shows up it is too late to do much for it.

Pledge seems to work well. I use it sometimes as it is handy and quick. Neither it or Rain-X seems to work well after the first cleaning of the shield. I find that a coat of good Carnuba car wax works about as good and for a lot longer than either Pledge or Rain-X while on a trip.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Plast-x is the best I've found. They even make a small can that fits most anywhere. Comes in handy for a quick face shield cleaning.

Do you actually look through your windshield on your RT at any point while riding? Regardless of the height of the shield on an RT, I have always looked over the shield, not through it.

Me too.

Guest Kakugo
Scratch that former post. I confused myself. Plexus is the good stuff.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you pay Plexus in the States now?

Thanks.

Always over, even when raining. My windshield wiper is my left hand.

All, thanks for the input. I will stay away from Rain-X. When it rains, I lower the windshield and look over it. The extra wind helps clear my face shield on my helmet from water. Just curious, has anyone used pledge or plexus on their face shield?

I have used Plexus on both my faceshield and my windscreen for at least ten years. Works very well in both applications.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Spraying Plexus on your face shield and cleaning it while wearing it and stopped in line at the Great White North border crossing is guaranteed to get you some looks. I tell myself the looks were because how clean it made my face shield.

All, thanks for the input. I will stay away from Rain-X. When it rains, I lower the windshield and look over it. The extra wind helps clear my face shield on my helmet from water. Just curious, has anyone used pledge or plexus on their face shield?

Yep! Use Pledge all the time to polish the whole bike and helmet! I only use automotive wax on my RT about 2-3 times a year, while at other times I just wash the bike, dry, and use Pledge. Makes for a very fast work and allows more time for riding!!! ;)

This is the Rain-X product that is formulated for motorcycle windshields: Rain-X

RainX_Plastic_Water_Repellent2.jpg

I've used Plexus for quite a while. You don't need much and it does a good job of cleaning while leaving residual protection that helps water bead up.

For all the people using Pledge on their visors and windshields, how long does it last before needing to be reapplied? A couple of days, one day, a few hours? Also, is there a lot of streaking? Just curious...this seems like an interesting application.

That is the nice thing about using Pledge, it doesn't streak at all and very easy to apply. That is why I use it on the whole bike. How often? In the summer, quite often because of the bugs. I apply it every time that the shields (face and/or bike) gets washed/cleaned.

Ok, I will give it a try. Do you treat just the outside or both sides of the face shield ?

Thanks in advance

Steve

I do just the outside, mainly because my Neotec has the Pinlock shield on the inside.

Archived