IGNORED

New K60 Scouts and TPMS problem

ArmyGuy

Put on new K60 Scouts on my GS and screwed up the valve stem/TPMS sensor on the front tire. I put in a valve stem/sensor from a 2005 RT so the tire would hold air. The good news is my bike knows there is a sensor in the front (read no error) but does not display the tire pressure. I'm thinking I have to introduce the bike to the sensor....or visit my local dealer. I did not think to write down the SN of the sensor for the introduction before I put it all back together so might have to break the bead again.

I have just been through this procedure on a friend's bike and had no luck with option 3. I even contacted hexcode and they replied that it seldom works. My friend bought some refurbished sensors (that did not have the id number on them) on eBay for a second set of wheels (with knobbies) for his GS. I tried all sorts of methods of waking up the sensors to no avail. The GS-911 just would not read them and I eventually bought one of the activator tools, an ATEQ VT-30, on eBay. Voila! It was still a whole lot cheaper in total than buying two new sensors from BMW at about $150 a piece.

You can program two sets of sensors, A and B, into the RDC, which allows you to switch between wheels.

If the id is on the sensor, that will be your best bet as you can enter the id directly using the GS-911, but you probably know that.

It was on the sensor but I didn't think to record the serial number. If it doesn't work and it throws no faults, I'll probably hang tough until the front tire wears out and I have to change it or I find a friend with a tire changing station I can use.

Pretty sure it is going to throw a fault. My friend wasn't too worried about not having the sensors working on the second set of wheels, but didn't like the fault light on the dash.

I seem to remember that the id number is on a sticker on the rim side of the sensor, so you have to take it out to see it.

I remember looking at the ID number right before we put it in and thinking "hmmmmm, wonder if that's important?" Thanks for the information. I'm taking the GS out to scrub in the new tires tomorrow. We'll see how much snow is left north of Frederic in the Catoctin Mountains (it's the closest place with dirt roads).

You may or may not be shocked at how different they will make the bike feel on pavement. I was in the may camp! :eek: They do get better with time, the traction difference on gravel is very noticeable & enjoyable. :thumbsup:

Pat

My ride went well. During my ritual stream/creek crossing, with water flying, a couple of Jeep guys who were waiting for me to cross gave me a thumbs up. They were probably thinking 'who is this nut playing in the water in 38 degree weather?'

Parts of the fire roads I rode on were as slippery as snot....layered with ice, mud, and water. The tires worked well and, while I'm not sure how my old ones would have performed, I like these K60s better. Front wheel floating on the mud pretty much going where the contours of the road dictate but not sliding out....back end sliding around like a snake, spitting mud and dirt everywhere, then hooking up on solid bits. It was a blast!

They did feel different on pavement than my Tourance Next I took off. I don't know if it was 'new tire syndrome' or what but they didn't feel as sticky in the turns.

Looking forward to testing these at MMM and again at START.

Yeah, the K60's will never give you a warm and fuzzy feeling in the turns.....especially if the pavement is wet. The bright side is that when they slip, they slip predictably and are very easy to get back under the bike. I do miss the street traction on the Tourances, but the payoff of the K60 offroad is well worth the trade off in my opinion. I now always run a K60 on the rear, but I alternate between a Tourance and a TKC80 on the front depending on what type of riding I know I'm going to be getting into.

That combo of a K60 rear and TKC80 front is downright impressive when you get into the sloppy stuff. It is by far my favorite go anywhere tire combo.

Archived