'07 RT Final Drive Fluid CHECK

CoastRider

I can't find anything on the internet about simply checking the fluid level in the final drive unit of a 2007 RT. I can find lots about changing the fluid, but I can't find anything about simply checking the level when you weren't the one that did the last change. I just purchased the bike so looking to confirm adequate fluid level that was reported to have just been changed. I've heard that even dealers sometimes forget to refill the final drive and the result is a trashed unit, so this would appear to be valuable as insurance that there is sufficient fluid in the drive when you aren't the one that filled it last. Any thoughts on how to accomplish this short of just changing it again?

To the best of my knowledge there is no way of checking the oil level. For the little bit of oil it takes I would just change the oil and then you will know that the correct oil and the correct amount of oil is in the final drive.

just my 2 cents

Roger L

To the best of my knowledge there is no way of checking the oil level. For the little bit of oil it takes I would just change the oil and then you will know that the correct oil and the correct amount of oil is in the final drive.

just my 2 cents

Roger L

+1

I have an 07 and there is no way to check the FD fluid level aside from draining it and measure what you get.

I have an 07 as well and checking the oil level is actually pretty simple.

With the bike level, unscrew the drain plug at the rear of the drive. If oil starts to slowly seep out along the threads, you are good. 180 ml is just enough to bring the level up to that drain hole. If no oil is running out, add some until it does, then screw the drain plug back in. If a lot of oil comes out, it was too full to begin with.

I use a plastic bottle with mls marked on it that I got from a beauty supply shop (of all places). The tip comes out at an angle, and fits into the drain hole so you don't need to worry about filling it through the speed sensor hole.

Enjoy your new ride!

Archived