IGNORED

Buying Used Wethead...

Guest Kakugo

The local BMW dealership presently has four used RT-LC's for sale.

Three are still 2014 buybacks but one is an early 2015 they got in late February.

1457km on clocks, fully loaded (Dynamic ESA, Quickshifter, radio etc) minus top case, estetically spotless bar a small boot scuff on the luggage carrier. It even has PR4GT's. It was almost love at first sight.

I say almost because asking pricing (pre-haggling) is actually quite a bit lower than that of any of the trade-in's, a couple of which look far tattier due to various paint chips, book marks etc and the other being far higher mileage. Oh, none of the trade-ins has a radio which usually means a premium on used units.

This bike seems too good to be true.

What gives? Why the low price? The salesman didn't know or wouldn't tell.

I must confess I've been really tempted because that bike is priced what I feel is just right for an RT-LC.

Opinions?

Oh: don't say "Go for it!". I am already restraining myself from rushing to the dealer checkbook in hand. :rofl:

I bought my buy back because it was 20% less than new and had 1800 miles on the odo. I love the bike and have had no issues in 16,000 miles.

Why not ask to see maintenance records? Were there any warranty claims? Was the bike repaired after an accident? Is this dealer the original selling dealer for the 2015?

Guest Kakugo
Why not ask to see maintenance records? Were there any warranty claims? Was the bike repaired after an accident? Is this dealer the original selling dealer for the 2015?

One single service (1000km), no warranty claims, no accidents, the bike was originally sold by this same dealer, one owner.

The bike has already been inspected and checked for all latest firmware/software updates. It's ready to ride.

That's why I say it's too good to be true.

That's why I say it's too good to be true.

It has a warranty, what could possibly go wrong?

Any way to contact the previous owner? VIN search?

Maybe it was meant to be...

My buy back had just over 1200 miles on it when I purchased it. I'm closing in fast on 14,000 with only two minor maintenance issues...both covered under warranty. I now have PR4s and they're great. I'm always looking forward to hopping on the bike which is almost every day.

Another buyback buyer here. Mine had 1100 miles on it and it was a great price, including the otherwise uber expensive top case. I've loved every minute of it since I got it. I picked it up in October 2014. I'm surprised there are still buybacks out there.

The key here is buyback vs trade-in. BMW likely set the price for the buybacks as I have seen no facts about them going to auction. So, if you don't have trade-ins or many new models available, a dealer might consider paying BMW's price for the buy back models. Which can backfire.

The 2015 trade in value was likely a lot less than the dealer paid for the BMW buy back models. Market value. Which might be influenced by too many buy back models out there. I think the 2015 would be the only one I would consider and cannot imagine any reason not to purchase it in your case.

Kakugo....it might actually be just the right thing to do. The only thing I could even think of other than what others have already mentioned such as damage.......is what is on the title and how might that affect you in your country. Some states in the USA labeled the titles funny on recall e.g. Lemmon Bike or Salvage Bike for the simple recall of a defective shock. I don't know the laws in your neck of the woods, but you might ask to see the title and what it says. The dealer should have it handy. Even if it had some impairment on the title it doesn't affect the bike...it might affect resale.....

Guest Kakugo

After yet another good night sleep, I've decided to give it a miss.

Yes, it was probably meant to be, yes, the price is absolutely right for the bike, and yes, I can afford it but it just doesn't feel right. It's always good to be able to sleep over decisions involving so many digits. ;)

Thanks to everybody who chimed in.

Don't wait too long. You would hate to see your neighbor riding your new bike :)

This.

Someone bought a bike and changed their mind.

Either sold it back (got hammered0 or traded in 9got hammered).

Someone (should be you) will benefit from the other person's choice.

Plain and simple, IMO.

Best wishes.

Agree with tallman, happens all to frequently. We had one of those guys (who will remain nameless) in the last few months, made me dizzy keeping up with what he was doing, seeking nirvana on wheels or something; which to me about any Wethead (RT, GS or GSA) is as close as it comes in riding.

I bought a 2014 buy back with 500 miles from Max BMW in Albany N Y last Feb. I now have 10k on it. Only issue is the cruse control switches had to be replaced under warranty

My big ride this year is Nashville to Ouray Co. Last June I rode from Nashville to Harrington Me and into Canada.

Archived