IGNORED

Russell Saddle Suggestions?

Brad_H

Hello all,

I've decided to try a RDL on my new R12RTw. I've had Sargents, Corbins, and recently had Rocky Mayer (BMS) make me a saddle. While they all were an improvement over stock, none of them were good for 6-8 hours of saddle time for me.

I have a regular seat in the high position and can sit flat-footed at lights with bend in my knees; I don't think reach to the ground due to added height will be an issue for me. I am considering either rectangle or maybe half-moon, and was wondering if anyone has tried both and can comment? I plan to only do the front saddle as I always ride solo, and that means black vinyl. Would having the top leather make much difference in your experience?

I realize this is all very subjective; just looking for some words of experience that might influence me on these few issues.

Thank you,

Brad

Slyder_Steve

Brad,

I've got a mid-March build date for my RDL. I went with half moon leather--only because it wasn't that much more.

It will be a month before I can comment with experience.

Steve

I have had several Russell seats. I cannot see any real difference in the pattern as far as comfort. I had a new cover made for one seat in a different pattern, that seemed the same so I guess that is a good test of any difference in pattern comfort. It is assumed the minimal stitching in the half moon lets in less water. I see water sitting in all patterns and have NEVER had an issue with water getting into the seams. The large rectangle seems to fit the style of the RT best, imo.

I have had all leather, all vinyl, vinyl lower with leather seating. All leather is not good. Leather cracks and wrinkles much worse and the lower part in leather really shows this "wear". All vinyl is just fine, saves money. But, the most comfortable for long days is the leather seating surface. Has nothing to do with "breathing". I wear full gear so that just don't matter. It has everything to do with how the leather moulds to your butt over time. It seems to fit better than vinyl, seems almost softer because of how it forms to you. So, I highly recommend the leather seating surfaces. If they did not look so weird, the cloth inserts are probably without equal for comfort!

You can also get a basket weave vinyl ( black only ) at no additional charge. You have to ask for it. This is on the seating surface only and I have it on one of the V Stroms. Matter of taste as far as looks, but it seems softer than the regular vinyl.

I was tempted to go with the dark charcoal seat color. The factory seats are not really black. Had them send color samples of both in vinyl and leather. Not dark enough! Went with black and couldn't be happier.

DSCF1088.jpg

I received this a couple of weeks ago. Sunday was my first chance to put some miles on. We got a 60° day and I had a couple of hours to spare.....now its snowing again :cry: The seat is comfortable, but much taller than the original. I put it in the lower position and still ride higher than the stock seat in the upper position. This is my 4th RDL. I had half moon plain vinyl on my 06RT, so I thought I would try something different. I like the rectangle, especially with the basketweave material. After 90 miles in this saddle it did seem to be breaking in nicely. I wish that I could put a few hundred more on soon.

Here is the 06 with half moon

005.jpg

Rob, the basket weave looks good on your RT.

Your '06 does not look like half moon. Looks like large rectangle to me. Below is a half moon cover on my V Strom.

DSC00536_zpsda1e74d8.jpg

I'm 5'10" with 32in inseam. I just bought a RDL dual with heat, half moon, standard vinyl.

I got my first real ride on this weekend. The seat in lower position is higher than the stock was at high. I have to now rock forward to the front part of the seat to get my feet on the ground firmly. But I adjusted to that quickly.

I had duals done even though my wife will rarely ever ride on the back. She commented on how it was a huge difference for her comfort. She rides her own bike most the time.

I never had a RDL before, but I had a Corbin dual tourer on my previous Honda Aero. I can already tell I'll like the RDL on the highway more than the Corbin. The only regret I have is that I should have bought the basket weave. I do slide forward slightly at times. It's not horrible. But BW would have fixed that.

Thank you all. I know these topics (seats, oil, tires etc.) can get old to many, but even after many years on many boards, I still appreciate the benefit of the community experience.

Thanks,

Brad

The seat in lower position is higher than the stock was at high. I have to now rock forward to the front part of the seat to get my feet on the ground firmly. But I adjusted to that quickly.

Moving forward at a stop is called "The Russell Slide"

Enjoy

Jay

Moving forward at a stop is called "The Russell Slide"

Jay

How about the Russel Nut Cruncher? LOL. It's not that bad...

I have used many RDL. I feel into this one while buying my bike.

It uses Sunbrella fabric which is boat canvas. I will use 303 Fabric Guard as soon as we get some heat here in PA.

I love this seat and I have always run leather top and vinyl sides. Leather for comfort and wear and vinyl sides to hold the shape as leather stretches and will not look nice over time as sides on the RDL.

Here is my 400.00 seat and I love it.

seat1.jpg

Slyder_Steve

Just shipped my saddle off today for a RDL transformation! Looking forward to more than a few miles before my backside gives me grief! Should be back to me by April fools day!

I was planning on a full leather, but decided to go with leather inserts/vinyl sides.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Russell on my 2008RT. 84,000 miles on it and it still looks, and feels, great. Best $$ I've ever spent on an aftermarket item. My wife has one on her F700GS and loves hers as well. We did the Four Corners Tour in 2014 and neither of us ever had a bottom-side complaint in 11,000 miles (20 days). By the way, they will modify if for up to 18 months if necessary. Great people, great product!

Archived