Pre Fill oil Filter?

Rumbles

Joe Frickin' Friday

If you're having the dealer service your bike, I'm guessing no, since they're on the clock and the manual doesn't spec it.

For shadetree mechanics, I don't know what "normal" is, but I always pre-filled the new filter; I hate the idea of the engine spinning without pressure-fed lube, even just for a couple of seconds until the pump refills the oil galleys. If I can reduce the amount of time the oil pressure light is on after the engine fires up, I feel better about it. I expect the engine will be absolutely fine if you don't pre-fill the filter ("fine" means you won't notice a different in the engine even after 100K miles or more), but whatever makes you happy, ya know?

My car has a side-mounted oil filter, so pre-filling isn't an option; I cringe during the first restart after each oil change.

I once left a side mounted oil filter off after an oil change and started the engine. You'd be surprised how fast oil comes out the filter port. Several quarts in a matter of seconds. Definitely not a slow flow rate.

My opinion - If the engine has been run recently there is no benefit of orefilling a filter.

Maybe if it has been sitting all winter..........

Easy to do and what can it hurt? Only answer: Absolutely nothing. Also makes it easy to wipe a bit of oil on the filter gasket while you're at it.

Seems like a non-issue.

I've pre-filled mine for years even on side mounted setups. You just have to be a little quicker getting it on. The oil doesn't spill out as quick as you might think.

Archived