IGNORED

Speedometer Lightbulb Replacement 04t

Bigfish

Couple questions. How to get to the bulb? Does the nose fairing need to come off?

What kind of bulb and where to purchase?

As always, Thanks in advance.

Remove screen.

Remove the top capping trim (46 63 7 651 248)

Remove the headlight adjuster knob and remove adjuster from the dash panel.

Carefully Remove the dash trim panel (46 63 7 651 249) - disconnect the foglight switch.

Unscrew the speedo cable from the speed unit.

The instrument binnacle is held in place with 4 bolts. Once these are removed, the binnacle can be lifted and then the instrument electrical connector disconnected.

Now you have the complete instrument binnacle in your hand you need to remove the mileometer reset mechanism.

The Rev counter and speedo are secured into the binnacle with 2 nuts (each).

Once the nuts are removed, the speedo or rev counter can be pushed out of the housing binnacle. This is normally very stiff. So, go gently. A little silicone lube around the outer edge of the speedo/rev counter may help the units slide out.

Once out, the instruments lights are located with 'push in' grommeted housings.

You can replace the incandescent bulbs with the appropriate LED units.

+1 on the LED replacements. The glass for the incandescent bulbs goes dark over time, and with all the work required to replace the bulbs, replace all at once, and use LEDs. LEDs weren't really an option yet when I replace my bulbs, but I think these are what you need: Mini Wedge T5 1x3528SMD LED Bulb T1-3/4 12VDC

Amazon has these: 10PCS T5 Bright 1 LED Mini Wedge Convex Lens Light Dashborad Bulbs DC12V

GREAT write up Andy and thanks for the LED info Seldon.

I may add some pictures or video of me doing this procedure to help those in the future.

A reminder before buttoning-up.

LEDS are polarity sensitive; if they do not light up, reverse polarity .

Make sure they light up before final screw down.

This is more of a project than expected. Having GPS, Radar and USB ports on my Accessory Shelf has made this a bit more involved. Fun using my new Label Maker to label all the connections for putting it back together correctly.

I am stuck trying to remove the display plug. I believe it is called the RID. It looks like you are supposed to pinch the ends down then just pull out the plug. I tried for over 10 minutes and it won't come off. Are you supposed to put screwdrivers in there and pry up?

Here is a pic. Are these plugs really really hard to pull apart? Once this is unplugged, the dash panel will be free.

faq2a8.jpg

Remove screen.

Remove the top capping trim (46 63 7 651 248)

Remove the headlight adjuster knob and remove adjuster from the dash panel.

Carefully Remove the dash trim panel (46 63 7 651 249) - disconnect the foglight switch. (NO MENTION TO UNPLUG RID SWITCH)

Unscrew the speedo cable from the speed unit.

The instrument binnacle is held in place with 4 bolts. Once these are removed, the binnacle can be lifted and then the instrument electrical connector disconnected.

Now you have the complete instrument binnacle in your hand you need to remove the mileometer reset mechanism.

The Rev counter and speedo are secured into the binnacle with 2 nuts (each).

Once the nuts are removed, the speedo or rev counter can be pushed out of the housing binnacle. This is normally very stiff. So, go gently. A little silicone lube around the outer edge of the speedo/rev counter may help the units slide out.

Once out, the instruments lights are located with 'push in' grommeted housings.

You can replace the incandescent bulbs with the appropriate LED units.

See Red added type to AndyS great post. Maybe this RID Plug does not get removed and I can just swing the dash panel out of the way. No replies to my posted pic... am I trying to remove this plug correctly, so before I break it, I will try to work around this being conected.

Guys, I was able to get to the light bulbs without removing the instrument cluster completely off the bike. Just cut a couple zip ties to create enough working room. As stated previous, the tachometer is tight. I opted for a hair dryer before going to my heat gun and it worked. Also, instead of trying to push on both bolts, I used a long flat file across both and this gives much better leverage. Used file before the heat couldn't get it to come out. After heat... just popped right out. BMW dealership must charge several hundreds of dollars to put in .69¢ bulbs. Lots of labor on this.

Completed the dash light bulb repair. A few pics to show the difference and the bulbs I used. I took lots more detailed pics I may include to help the next sole who dares to attempt the challenge.

91ick5.jpg15zjwk5.jpgfn5sm0.jpg

Kudos on finding the Long Life bulbs. I used those to replace all the instrument cluster bulbs in my old car.

Question about the headlight brightness indicator. I find it blindingly bright, ironically. Has anyone toned this bulb down?

Question about the headlight brightness indicator. I find it blindingly bright, ironically. Has anyone toned this bulb down?

Are you talking about the high beam indicator?

If so, you can do a variety of things.

a/. Change to a lower wattage bulb.

b/. Remove the bulb, then use a permanent marker and 'colour' the bulb with the marker pen. Refit the bulb.

c/. (Not sure if this works with that bulb), but my fiat had instrument bulbs that had slip over cap that reduced its brilliance.

d/. Put a bit of tape over the part of the dashboard that is too bright, the light should still shine through the tape if it is not too thick.

Archived