IGNORED

Thinking about a 2016 RT

CruisinCruzan

CruisinCruzan

Hello All,

On my 50th B'day I picked up a new '06 RT, thoroughly enjoyed it. I replaced it with a GTL which I equally enjoy. I turn 60 this year and am thinking about the RT again as I wouldn't mind shedding some weight. I have been perusing various threads and thought I would pose some questions.

I would add engine guards and I like the ilium (have them on he GTL). I have Clearwater Darlas and an Erica/Sevina combo and I would like to mount them on the RT. When I look at the pics of the Ilium bars it looks like I could mount the Erica/Sevina on the top bar of the Ilium and if the bike tipped over they would not hit the ground. Anyone mounted the Sevinas on that bar and care to comment on if they would be protected?

There is a K1600 forum member who makes rear pannier bars which my wife does not notice at all. The GTL wunderlich bars were too intrusive for her. If anyone has put the Wunderlich rear bars on, how did your pillion feel about them? My wife and I go on multi week trips, and at least 50% of my mileage is with her on the back so she needs to be comfy.

Any problems adding a PDM60? If I wished to change the low beam to a HID any issues? My '06 took the HID conversion easily, I was careful with the aiming and they worked extremely well.

Some have commented about handlebar vibration. I am not expecting the smoothness of my GTL but when we are traveling 600 miles daily will i wind up with numb hands? It was not an issue with my '06 so I assume the new version is smoother?

HMy wife and I go on multi week trips, and at least 50% of my mileage is with her on the back so she needs to be comfy.

You may want to borrow or rent an RT for a couple of days and let your wife try it. I think the RT will be a hard sell after the GTL.

CruisinCruzan

That is definitely the plan once the weather improves. Although my aeroflow windshield has cut down significant wife buffeting on the GTL she did feel that she got more buffeting on the GTL than the RT when I first got the bike. The GTL is farkled to just where I want it so I feel that whatever I decide will result in me riding a bike I enjoy.

We went to the last 2 rallies (St. Paul and Billings) and when slabbing it was nice to sit back and enjoy the smooth cruise. I wouldn't mind doing the same thing with less weight.

I ride solo, and my experience have been strictly on RTs, so I can answer just a couple of questions.

Guards - add what you like best to the front, but for the RT, you have just one choice and that is Wunderlich. I have heard that it sometimes (often?) gets in the way of the pillion. Can't tell you that for fact, but I have read of several comments. I do have Wunderlich bars, both front and rear on my RT.

92553d1445617727-clearwater-lights-dsc_2288.jpg

92545d1445617727-clearwater-lights-dsc_2288a.jpg

Personally, I prefers Ztechnik for the front, but they didn't have a product available at the time that I was buying (for my prior '14 RT).

Aux. fuse block - there shouldn't be any issues with adding the PDM60. There is a clear space on top of the rear fender under the passenger seat that is just large enough. I use a Centech myself, and that is where it resides. Be warn though that, based on what others have said, if you add a Sargent heated passenger seat, you will not have room in that particular spot for your PDM60. All is not lost though, because it is quite easy to find a spot on the side of the bike, under one of the panel (possibly very near the battery).

There had been a lot of discussions in the past about handle-bar vibrations. I have never had an issue, while others complains. I think that it has to do with the individual's riding style/posture. I rarely hold my grips tight, and the ride-by-wire throttle uses a lot lighter spring than the previous models RT, such that I don't hold the throttle very tight either. One other factor might be because I have a pair of bar-end mirrors, which effectively increases the weight on thee bar-end quite significantly!

The suggestion of renting one for a couple of days is a great idea! I am sure that you will get some of the questions out of the way! Good luck on your choice! :)

Renting is the best idea. Thats what sold me on the RT. Pad where did you get those bar end mirrors?

Ahhhh.....I have been using those since my '07 RT! The idea actually originated from here! Those are Napoleon Baren AP-104 (same but in chrome, at the same price, would be AP-101). You can find them on either Amazon or eBay, and the last time that I had looked, you can get them for about $33 each! Read this thread: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=23554&Number=245347#Post245347

Hello All,

>>>I would add engine guards and I like the ilium (have them on he GTL). I have Clearwater Darlas and an Erica/Sevina combo and I would like to mount them on the RT. When I look at the pics of the Ilium bars it looks like I could mount the Erica/Sevina on the top bar of the Ilium and if the bike tipped over they would not hit the ground. Anyone mounted the Sevinas on that bar and care to comment on if they would be protected?<<<<

Sevinas are 4.4" in diameter so it might be a stretch to fit them "inside" the bar. Ericas can definitely fit. I have my Darlas on the forks, Ericas "inside" Wunderlich low bars, and Sevinas hanging under the mirrors on Wunderlich high bars. If the bike tips over, the Sevinas are toast.

mam%20tour%20%285%29.jpg

>>>There is a K1600 forum member who makes rear pannier bars which my wife does not notice at all. The GTL wunderlich bars were too intrusive for her. If anyone has put the Wunderlich rear bars on, how did your pillion feel about them?<<<<<

Mine sat on the bike for 2 minutes and didn't complain, but she doesn't ride on the back, so take that for what it's worth.

>>>Any problems adding a PDM60?<<<<

Nope. I added it with zero problems and I have loads of accessories.

>>>>If I wished to change the low beam to a HID any issues? My '06 took the HID conversion easily, I was careful with the aiming and they worked extremely well.<<<<

Don't bother. If you have Ericas, Sevinas, and Darlas, you don't need HID. Just replace the bulbs with Silverstars and you're set, and that way if you have any issues it's a simple bulb swap. Well, almost simple. You know what it's like to change bulbs on these damn things?!

>>>>Some have commented about handlebar vibration. I am not expecting the smoothness of my GTL but when we are traveling 600 miles daily will i wind up with numb hands? It was not an issue with my '06 so I assume the new version is smoother?<<<<

New RT is much smoother than my old Hex or Oilheads. I have no idea what people are complaining about, honestly. A set of bar end weights can always be added if you feel it's necessary, but my bike is like glass at all speeds.

-MKL

CruisinCruzan

Thanks to all for your replies. I had a business meeting today about 2 miles from MaxBMW in NY (where I bought my last 3 bikes). I stopped in, sat on the RT and asked the salesman if they came with ABS Pro as I have read conflicting info. He said some of the 16s have it. He did not seem sure about his answer. Can anyone confirm if they have an RT with ABS Pro?

I can understand the functionality of those crash bars for protection and a platform to hang stuff from, but they spoil the looks of a great looking bike IMHO. I can see them on a GS where, if you ride off road, you are guaranteed to drop the bike from time to time. And a GS is ugly enough stock that bars don't make it uglier. But on a road bike? Particularly one as good looking as the RT's. I know everything is subjective, but that's my opinion. I try to keep my bike upright and take care to do so. It is cold and miserable outside and this forum could use some action, so have at me.

Larry

I like the looks of the crash bars better than the damage that happens when you drop it. No one plans on dropping there bike! GT

I prefer the look of a bike with no bars too, but for me the RT is my functional daily commuter. I need those bars to hang lights and accessories I'm sent to test for articles.

When I want a "pretty bike" I jump on my Guzzi.

-MKL

Archived