IGNORED

AltRider Headlight Guard For GS/GSA

marcopolo

Today I installed the AltRider Lexan headlight guard on my '15 GSA. At first I din't think I'd bother with a headlight guard, until I discovered that the LED headlight is $1,500 (and that doesn't count a couple of internal parts).

It's more of a pain to install on the Adventure than on the GS, but it was still more of a pain than I had expected. For whatever reason, I just could not get the last bolt threaded (it comes up from underneath the beak and screws into a captive nut on the guard's bracket (there's one on each side. First side went relatively smoothly, but I just could not get the bolt and the hole in that nut aligned no matter what I/we did (enlisted my wife's help). We finally had to take a one-hour break after about two hours in. Then we came back to it and got it done after about fifteen minutes.

Seems to be a quality product.

Time for a celebratory drink.

I've done the walk away, reset & return trick on more than one occasion. The bigger hammer option usually costs you a bunch of money. :eek:

Pat

• 1 month later...

I had the same issue. The rider left side bracket was fairly easy to install once the black front beak was removed (two screws). The plastic fairing hiding the hex hole was easier to push out of the way to expose the hole. As for the rider's right side, I had to grind off a bit of the Altrider bracket to clear that large rubber grommet under the headlight. This made aligning the holes much easier, and I was finally able to thread the bolt into the lower right bracket.

The plastic nibs on the guard lens came pre-installed, but were on the wrong side of the lens. This was a much easier fix than the right side bracket.

I didn't mention it in my original post, but I also removed the black nose piece from the beak.

Can't believe those black studs were installed on the wrong side of yours. :(

• 2 months later...

Did you use the metal screen or the acrylic sheet? I used the acrylic sheet and noticed the edge was simply (rough) cut and not polished. Is this normal?

Did you use the metal screen or the acrylic sheet? I used the acrylic sheet and noticed the edge was simply (rough) cut and not polished. Is this normal?

I bought the polycarbonate one, not the metal one. I didn't notice the edge being rough, but maybe I didn't look closely enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have the poly lens. The edges are not polished. At the BMWMOA rally last week I visited the AltRider booth and noticed the metal accessories have very sharp edges. The person manning the booth had bandages on several fingers and I wondered if it was from handling the merchandise. Whether or not, it was good for a laugh.

I too have the poly lens. The edges are not polished. At the BMWMOA rally last week I visited the AltRider booth and noticed the metal accessories have very sharp edges. The person manning the booth had bandages on several fingers and I wondered if it was from handling the merchandise. Whether or not, it was good for a laugh.

Archived