Faulty fuel sender?

6346K98

I've had my ex-police R1200RT for two years now and I put roughly 10K miles on it. Never had any issue (knock on the wood...) other that occasional EWS usually in the middle of nowhere that would quickly go away to my great relief. Couple of days ago, as I was cruising in a left lane of super busy stretch of an interstate, with the tank half-full (according to the meter), the bike suddenly lost power, so that I could barely pull over the shoulder in the median thinking of some catastrophic engine failure and gloomy prospect of impending expenses. I didn't ride for at least two weeks before this incident and didn't even remember when I filled last time and how many miles did I put since I filled the tank. Anyways, I decided to look inside the tank and glad I did - it was bone dry. Sigh of relief, I just ran out of gas! To my delight, four motorists stopped to offer me a help, but State Farm patrol services this part of interstate and kindly delivered my some gas.

I noticed that ever since I filled the tank first time it would take several minutes to show all bars on fuel level on LCD screen. The low fuel level and warning triangle would correspond to actual amount of fuel, however. As I filled the tank at the nearest exit on that day and rode approx. 150 miles back home, the tank still shows as full on LCD screen. I certainly can live with that, would would love to fix it. Do you think it is mechanical issue with fual sender float stuck, or it related to infamous fuel strip? Thanks a lot!

Hi and welcome.

Yes, you fell prey to the dreaded RT fuel strip failure.

You can find a lot of material about it on this very forum. Neither cheap nor easy to fix: some of our members reported failures on freshly replaced units which hint at problems during the installation/calibration process.

Afternoon 6346K98

Your problem sure sounds like the normal 1200RT fuel strip failure. (search the archives on this site)

That can be a pretty normal happening for some BMW 1200RT riders (myself included).

There is a good chance that your existing failed fuel strip is covered by a (special) BMW warranty on those fuel strips.

So start by contacting your BMW dealer & see if they will warranty it for you.

Otherwise be thankful that it shows too full as the ones that fail showing empty put that darn yellow dash light on all the time.

Just use your trip odometer in the mean time & re-fill around the 250 mile mark.

Don_Eilenberger

ALL the R1200xx series bikes in the US are covered by a 12 year fuel-strip warranty (12 years from "in-service" date.) Since your bike has to be less then 12 years old it will cost you nothing to get fixed. You'll probably also get a new fuel pump out of it, since there is also a recall on the fuel pumps (for a cracking output flange.) Also - no cost.

See your dealer.

Afternoon 6346K98

More on your 2009 1200RT-- there was also a brake line recall (for cracking line fittings at the ABS controller)-- A recall/update on the rear wheel flange (for possible cracking) with a steel flange update from the aluminum one,-- as mentioned a recall/update to install a metal reinforcement band to the fuel pump pass through (or replacement if the cracking is deemed too bad for band repair)--

Those should all still be covered as BMW extended the warranty to cover them.

There was also an EWS antenna ring replacement bulletin on the earlier 1200RT's but that was prior to your 2009 1200RT (it wouldn't hurt to ask the dealer though)

Don_Eilenberger

Since you're in the US (even South Jersey qualifies.. ;) ) be worth calling BMW Motorad to see what outstanding recalls are open on your bike. They just need the VIN# to check, and you can ask them to add you to their database so if any new ones pop up you'll receive notification right from BMW.

had mine replaced on 07 GS under recall its still not calibrated well I have fuel warning light come on at 150 miles then recently at 196 miles so I say use your trip meter.

Thanks guys! I have an appointment on 3/28 at Montgomeryville BMW in suburban Philly to have fuel strip replaced. I was told my bike falls under rear wheel flange bushing (?) recall and the they would be replacing that in the same day.

Archived