IGNORED

Possible Officer Road Rage

Red

This from the AP news service. I've looked and cannot find a link to the video on line anywhere.

EUGENE, Ore. (AP) — The state is asking a federal appeals court to review a case involving an Oregon State Police trooper accused of excessive force after he kicked a Eugene motorcyclist.

The Register-Guard reports (http://goo.gl/FZj9cw ) the Oregon Department of Justice has filed a notice with the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The agency is seeking a review of a jury verdict that found Capt. Rob Edwards in violation of Justin Wilkens' civil rights in the 2012 incident.

Wilkens filed an excessive force lawsuit against Edwards in 2014 and was awarded more than $180,000 in damages.

Video of the 2012 incident shows Edwards pursuing Wilkens in an unmarked police car and then rear-ending his motorcycle. He can then be seen pointing a gun at Wilkens and kicking him in the chest.

The cop way over reacted. The guy on the bike was clearly in the wrong but a cop with that much experience should be better able to control himself. IMO, the cop got off easy. He should have been fired or disciplined rather than promoted.

I don't see in the video where, according to the article, this happened.

"Wilkens suffered a broken left clavicle, a fractured rib and other injuries in the Aug. 3, 2012, incident."

It didn't appear he fell hard enough to break a rib. I suppose the kick could have broken a clavicle? Good argument for wearing all the gear all the time, including a full face helmet!

Dave McReynolds
I don't see in the video where, according to the article, this happened.

"Wilkens suffered a broken left clavicle, a fractured rib and other injuries in the Aug. 3, 2012, incident."

It didn't appear he fell hard enough to break a rib. I suppose the kick could have broken a clavicle? Good argument for wearing all the gear all the time, including a full face helmet!

Reckless driving ticket: $1,000

Repair dented motorcycle: $2,000

Recovery from lawsuit: ($180,000)

Remembering to wear ATTGATT to avoid broken clavicle from LEO kick: PRICELESS

Archived