R1200RT Fuel Tank

davell

Hello all, I have a 2006 R1200RT and am adding a supplementary fuel cell for Iron Butt type stuff. I recently purchased a used second fuel tank (because I don't want to drill into the stock tank, for resale purposes). This used tank appears to be a 2010-2013 model. Can anyone confirm this, and can anyone tell me if this tank will fit on my 2006 model before I remove plastic? view?usp=sharing

The parts fiche at realoem.com shows the same part number (16117699595) for all the Hexhead and Camhead models. However, the original 7.1 gallon Hexhead tank was part 16117682839. Both will fit your '06, but the newer tank is a smaller by about a half gallon. The new tank will probably require a fuel strip re-calibration, or at least a mental adjustment to the fuel gauge reading.

I would think the newer ones use a float and not a fuel strip, so can a fuel strip be used with a new style tank? With that in mind, is the volume difference from external dimensions or from internal changes because of the difference in fuel level apparatus?

I would think the newer ones use a float and not a fuel strip, so can a fuel strip be used with a new style tank?

It would physically fit, but I suspect you would run into issues with the computer programming that interprets the signal from the sensor.

With that in mind, is the volume difference from external dimensions or from internal changes because of the difference in fuel level apparatus?

Probably a little bit of both. I'm sure a float takes at least a little more room than a strip, but the tank also has different shape. Look at the pictures on the fiche and you can spot several differences. The newer part number has different "hooks" at the top front, and looks a little flatter and lower in that area. The old hooks were molded into the tank, the new ones look like they were attached later. I haven't checked, but I wonder if the new tank came about with the change in body work for the Camhead?

OLD:

B0005697.png

NEW: (different scale)

B0005391.png

Archived