IGNORED

Dumb, but brake rotor replacement question

Aram

I've replaced rotors before, but never on my R1150RT. My rear is down to the limit. Of course, I'll have to spread the brake pads a bit to enable the swap. Is the resulting back pressure going to blow a valve in the inverse secondary servo haltbremsebindendrückenweissbrau ABS system? Do I have to let out a little brake fluid or anything weird like that? Or do I just spread the brake pads, pull the wheel, swap rotors, insert wheel and ride?

I know, dumb, but I may as well ask. I thought my VFR's linked brakes were complicated....

Thanks,

Aram

You won't blow any valves.

However, in terms of fluid, it depends on how the system was last serviced.

If the pistons were not pushed fully back at the last brake fluid flush, then, when you push the pistons back this time, will cause fluid to be expelled through the overflow on the servo unit.

So, it would be a good time to do a fluid change, pads and discs all at the same time. How old are your brake hoses? maybe now is the time to consider changing them too if they are the original ones.

You'll need a heat gun for the rotor bolts to get the threadlocker to release.

New bolts are recommended, but for a crowd known

for reusing crush washers........

Thanks, both of you. I bought this bike, and for the first time ever I've been paying a shop to change brake fluid. Could I learn? Probably. Worth it? Maybe not. Unfortunately for the timing, last brake fluid change was in December. Brake lines are Spiegler stainless, which I bought new a year and a half ago. So I don't even have a built-in excuse to swap other parts.

I dunno... based on Andy's reply, maybe I'll toss a few $$ my shop's way and have them swap the thing. Silly maybe, but safe.

Thanks again,

Aram

I do my brake fluid changes. If you're at all mechanically inclined, it's not too difficult.

I'm sure you're right. It looks very time consuming though. I seem to value my time on this planet differently than I did ten years ago, you know? Just a choice I guess.

Safe riding,

Aram

I'm sure you're right. It looks very time consuming though. I seem to value my time on this planet differently than I did ten years ago, you know? Just a choice I guess.

Safe riding,

Aram

Well, it depends if you consider the time riding to your dealer, waiting for the work to be done, and riding back.

To me, that really is the aggravating part.

Lincoln_Faller

Using instructions I found on this site and ADV Rider, I found it not all that difficult to bleed the brake system on my 2002 RT, and I'm no mechanic.

I can do it now in about 2 hours, including the clutch and taking my time, which is less than I've spent just waiting at the dealer for it to be done, to say nothing of travel time back and forth. And I'm more than $350 to the good, which is what dealers have charged me, each time.

All you need is a funnel for the caliper circuits, available from Beemer Boneyard or you can make your own, and a way of capturing the bleed without getting air in the system. I use a Speed Bleeder bag. I've also found speed bleeders very helpful in doing the front calipers, but others have had problems with them and advise against them.

I'll add that I recently replaced the brake lines on the 1150RT with Spieglers. No real difficulty, probably because I did each of the control circuits separately and first, before doing the wheel circuits. Getting all the air out of the control circuits, though, meant compressing the brake levers somewhat more than usual.

There's lot of valuable and helpful information on this site that not only allows you to save money, even time, but that can give you the real satisfaction and sense of accomplishment that comes from maintaining and occasionally repairing your own machine. Thanks to all of you who've so generously shared it.

Using instructions I found on this site and ADV Rider, I found it not all that difficult to bleed the brake system on my 2002 RT, and I'm no mechanic.

I can do it now in about 2 hours, including the clutch and taking my time,.

You guys might successfully turn me around on this. 2 hours is not too bad. My VFR (with linked brakes -- PITA) didn't take much less time than that.

I even bought the funny funnel. Just chickened (er... opted) out before using it. Maybe next time I'll go for it.

Thanks!

Aram

Archived