IGNORED

2006 vs. 2007 R1200RT

Daxamundo

Hi All, New member looking to buy a R1200RT. This will be my first BMW, as I've only been on Japanese bikes since I started riding back in '99.

I've done some sport touring; most of the longer distance trips were on a 2007 FJR1300. I'm now on a 2006 Honda VFR800. I like the VFR, but I want to take my wife on some rides and the VFR is not comfortable for two-up riding. Actually, it is not that comfortable for solo riding either.

Given the budget I am trying to stick to (somewhere south of $9000), I'm looking at the '06 - '08 models. I found a 2006 and 2007, both under $7000. The 2006 has about 18,500 miles on it, and the 2007 has just over 41,000 miles on it.

I understand there were some issues with the '06 brakes, due to the use of servos. Is the 2007 a better buy, despite more miles? I realize there are other factors, such as options, but both bikes appear to be well outfitted with the features I'm concerned with (mainly cruise control and heated grips). There is also a 2008, with around 44k miles, for $8150.

I'm just not familiar enough with the BMW bikes to know what to expect with 40,000+ miles. My guess is that it comes down to how well they have been maintained, which is mostly true of any used bike.

Thanks in advance.

You shouldn't be put off by mileage - even 40,000 is not really very much for such a large capacity engine. I would argue that a machine that has actually been put to some real use should be in a better (internal) condition than one that has hardly turned a wheel in anger, relatively speaking. Obviously, the exterior condition, service history and compliance with recalls will be strong deciding factors - but don't necessarily be put off by 'high' mileage.

Cheers

Richard

Morning Daxamundo

That is difficult call given the very limited information you have about bike condition, maintenance, & other major factors.

All 3 of those bikes-- 06, 07, 08 CAN be very good bikes & have no latent issues.

BUT-- all things on the bikes being equal (especially owner integrity) personally I would go with the 08 every time (especially if a later build 08 1200RT.

There were a lot of changes in the 1200RT from the early 06 to the a late 08 starting with the servo brake difference that you mentioned.

There were also some minor & major changes in the engine balance shaft system (to address oil leak problems), final drive changes, rear shock changes, & drive shaft changes with some minor changes in other less critical areas.

A very late build 08 has just about all the major changes & is a solid bike for the money.

BUT, don't let the updates & improved areas on the late 08 keep you from buying a nice 06 bike as a nice (well cared for) 06 usually trumps a poorly cared for poorly maintained late 08 bike.

Thanks for the responses. All of that makes sense to me. I suspected the 'high mileage' wasn't really an issue for these bikes. I have a friend who has been riding BMW's since '99, and he's put loads of miles on his bikes.

The particular '08 I found is already gone. The dealership hasn't taken down the Cycletrader ad, but I went to their website and found it was sold. I'll keep a lookout for others. The hunt continues!

I had been considering an older K 1200 LT, in which case I was going to keep my VFR800, but if I get an RT, I see no point in holding onto the VFR. I'll just sell the VFR800 and apply that money towards the purchase of the RT. That should afford me a slightly newer RT.

Again, thanks for the input!

BIG difference between the LT and the RT. Assume that the 'had' you mentioned is now a fleeting memory? If not try both to get a real idea of those differences. :)

I've had 05's(2) and an 06 and not had issues with the engine, drive train, etc, but beware of the ESA on those early models if you go that route. Verify they are in working order and fully functional. I've had ESA on all 3 of the above mentioned bikes and 2 out of the 3 have had ESA issues.

GL in your search!

I just realized that the 2008 model dropped the fuel capacity down quite a bit (from 7.13 gal to 4.23 gal). Given the fuel economy improved, the range would still be good, but that seems like a pretty drastic drop in capacity. Maybe my source (bikez.com) is not accurate. It shows the capacity went back up in 2010 and then dropped a bit again in 2011.

I've just listed my '06 Honda VFR800, so here is hoping I find a new home for it, so that I can adopt an RT!

Okay, looks like my source was not correct. If I am to trust a 2nd source, then it seems the RT fuel capacity only dropped from 7.13 to 6.1, in the 2011 year model. That makes more sense.

The specified fuel capacity dropped from 7.1 to 6.6 gallons. The size of the tank didn't change. The specified value was changed to reflect the true usable capacity.

Sorry to keep asking questions, but does anyone have any thoughts about going with a K 1200 GT, instead of an RT? I've owned an inline 4 ('07 FJR1300), but I don't know anything about the older K 1200 GT. I see some '07 year models are available.

Also, there is a dealership in this area (Dallas-Fort Worth) that has a 2007 RT with just under 89,000 miles. They contacted me and said they have complete service records and they are willing to extend a 2-year warranty (guessing that is specific to their repair shop) as part of the purchase. Asking price is $5795. Does that seem like a smart purchase?

How are you looking for the RT. You need to use www.searchtempest.com for your search. It looks thru local Craig's List adds to find what you are looking for. I did a quick search for BMW R1200RT for zip code 76002 and found many listings.

Just my 2 cents

Roger L

For K info go over to I-BMW the K bike forum.

That model has many pro/con issues (2007 wedge).

There is a nice older (original K GT) flying brick for sale in our classifieds (usual disclaimer).

Those models have a couple issues that are also covered over at the K forum.

What type or riding?

Solo/2 up?

Day trips/weekends/trips?

Very aggressive/roses?

All these models have great potential and an issue or two (which deosn't mean you will).

Best wishes.

The specified fuel capacity dropped from 7.1 to 6.6 gallons. The size of the tank didn't change. The specified value was changed to reflect the true usable capacity.

It was dropped to reflect the change to a float system for the gas gauge, replacing the fuel strip.

For K info go over to I-BMW the K bike forum.

That model has many pro/con issues (2007 wedge).

There is a nice older (original K GT) flying brick for sale in our classifieds (usual disclaimer).

Those models have a couple issues that are also covered over at the K forum.

What type or riding?

Solo/2 up?

Day trips/weekends/trips?

Very aggressive/roses?

All these models have great potential and an issue or two (which deosn't mean you will).

Best wishes.

Thanks for referring me to i-BMW. I've registered and posted over there too.

To answer your questions: I plan to do both solo and 2-up riding (my wife enjoys riding with me). For solo riding, more aggressive; for 2-up, less so. Mostly day trips, but I want to do some longer trips too. I would love to make it to the Un Rally this year!

Common sense, which may not apply here, tells me that the RT should be lower maintenance effort than the K bike, since the engine is less buried in the bike. Don't know if that is true at all.

Thanks for all the help with my questions. I'm riding up to Oklahoma tomorrow to pick up a 2009 RT. There are some good options farther away, but I found two '09 RT's, fairly close. They both appear to be in good shape (all recalls done, service records available, ext.). Both bikes are about 200 miles from me. The one in Texas has fewer miles (25k vs. 37k), but it is black, and as silly as it may sound, I don't like black paint on my vehicles (at least not as a primary color). The silver one I am picking up has cruise control (guess that is standard?), heated grips, heated seat, ESA, and the paint matched top case. It also has those fold-out hwy peg thingamajigs (actually both bikes have that). Point is, I get to ride it home tomorrow! :grin:

I'll post pics sometime this weekend.

, but it is black, and as silly as it may sound, I don't like black paint on my vehicles (at least not as a primary color).

that is silly. :/

Congrats. We'll wait for the pics. :lurk:

Looks a lot like my '07! Cee Baily windscreen is a plus, and I have an aftermarket 55L trunk, as mine came with the 22L BMW, and I couldn't use it for anything I needed.

Watch for the rear wheel bearing, if you start hearing a squeak or rubbing noise, get it look at. Mine is going out at 67K..Also, the side stand switch did give problems for some bikes, but mine is bypassed.

I own an '05 RT and have had none of the problems detailed in responses to this thread with 67K on the clock. The RTs from '06 on strong and reliable performers (every brand has a small percentage that has issues). The K1200 and K1300 GTs are great bikes. But, the following differences are very noticable:

1) The comfort level on the RT is far greater for most people

2) The RT is a better handling machine

3) The maintenance on the RT is far easier to do yourself, if you do it, hence less expensive

4) Longer range on an RT when riding

5) The GT is a rocket in both versions compared to the RT. Take that for what it is worth.

I think it would be nice to have both bikes. But, if I had to choose, it would be the RT.

Also, though I like all of the bikes mentioned (had issues with my old LT), if I had a choice, I would choose a low mileage model '07 on . Keep in mind, if you plan on doing maintenance, the newer models make the final drive fluid replacement so much easier with the drain plug. All the models (I believe) that you have mentioned require you to perform alot more work to replace the final drive fluid (remove the wheel, rear caliper, drop the final drive down to drain, load through speed sensor hole). I have done it a number of times. I miss the easy replacement on the LT.

Love my RT. Hard to beat !!!!

Looks a lot like my '07! Cee Baily windscreen is a plus, and I have an aftermarket 55L trunk, as mine came with the 22L BMW, and I couldn't use it for anything I needed.

Watch for the rear wheel bearing, if you start hearing a squeak or rubbing noise, get it look at. Mine is going out at 67K..Also, the side stand switch did give problems for some bikes, but mine is bypassed.

Can you tell, from the picture, what size trunk that is? It has the BMW logo, so I assume it was part of the original purchase.

I am a bit disappointed in the usable space in the cases (side and top). I could not fit my Shoei X-12 helmet in the side case (maybe because of my Sena SM-10 comm unit). The trunk does not have as much interior space as I expected, but maybe it is just built with 'thicker' walls, to be rugged.

Can you tell, from the picture, what size trunk that is? It has the BMW logo, so I assume it was part of the original purchase.

I am a bit disappointed in the usable space in the cases (side and top). I could not fit my Shoei X-12 helmet in the side case (maybe because of my Sena SM-10 comm unit). The trunk does not have as much interior space as I expected, but maybe it is just built with 'thicker' walls, to be rugged.

You have the OEM 49l top case

I have no problem fitting my Shark evoline 2 helmet (with the sharktooth com system)in my side case and I can fit 2 modular helmets in the top case.

Archived