IGNORED

R 1200 GS tank bags recommendations wanted.

Bud

Bud:

How are you using the GS? I ask because if you are doing a lot of off-pavement and standing a lot the ring-type bags (GIVI & SWMotech) are more likely to run into your legs. Just keep that in mind when making a decision.

But if you are doing more off-pavement you don't care as much about a few scuff marks from the bag and straps :)

Mike Cassidy

Mike,

I will be mostly riding on road.

I bought a Givi but my fuel filler is not compatible with their ring.

My bike is an 09 for sure but the filler assembly doesn't look like the one on the 09 parts list.

I really like the ring type mounts.

SW is so high priced I'm having trouble in my own mind justifying the purchase price.

Mike,

My bike is an 09 for sure but the filler assembly doesn't look like the one on the 09 parts list.

SW is so high priced I'm having trouble in my own mind justifying the purchase price.

Bud, I checked Revzilla and looks like the BF17 ring is suppose to work...see the link, and buying a bag that somewhat matches the steep slope of the tank is the trick.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-tanklock-bike-specific-flange

I have a giant loop low profile tank bag for my GS. Straps and dirt have combined for a bit of paint scratching at the proximal tank attachment points on both sides.... Lesson learned, I still like the tank bag, just won't go with straps again in the future.

Bud, I've got RKA tank bags on both GS's. Very good and easy to tie down.

I had planned on getting the RKA, but I had HID lights put in both headlights. The extra wiring and ballasts made it pretty cramped in the area where I would have run the straps, so I went with the BMW tank bag. The RKA was a nice size bag.

The Easylock tank ring issue is a bit confusing. The GIVI USA site shows the correct ring to be the BF22 (BF07 will also work).

http://www.giviusa.com/my-motorcycle/bmw/r1200gs-06-12

There was a thread last year on ADVRider with folks having trouble sourcing the correct tank ring, but the BF22 seemed to fit best:

Givi XS308 on R1200GS

Mike Cassidy

Mike,

Bud, I checked Revzilla and looks like the BF17 ring is suppose to work...see the link, and buying a bag that somewhat matches the steep slope of the tank is the trick.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-tanklock-bike-specific-flange

Archived