Shipping costs

Bud

I saw a neat helmet/glove/gear device at Aerostich. $57.00 for some bent aluminum seemed high but it would help organize my riding gear in a small amount of space.

Put it in my cart and then went to check out. Much to my surprise, the shipping was going to be an additional 26%.

Decided not to order.

Has anyone else experienced high shipping costs which made them not order something?

John Ranalletta

I believe s&h is a profit center for most net sellers. Recently ordered parts from two suppliers to the knife-maker crowd. In both cases, the s&h was reasonable and both vendors credited my card when actual was less.

w/o knowing box size & weight hard to tell from here if $15 is unreasonable.

On another forum, users (many of them professional or semiprofessional sellers) were up in arms against USPS price hikes.

most were shifting their business to FedEx which, at least here, is not exactly cheap...

Dave McReynolds

I think that's a reason Amazon Prime is so popular. I have often checked with Amazon for a product I might have otherwise bought somewhere else for the free shipping. I have also bought a number of $5-$10 items at Amazon that I probably wouldn't have bought over the Internet at all otherwise, or would have waited until I could have combined with other items, because the shipping on inexpensive items can be exhorbitant most other places.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Using USPS web site, the cost to ship would be $7.75.

Do they ship via USPS? They're cheap, but many vendors don't use them. IME the most common choice is UPS, and FedEx is second place. If you live in a rural town, UPS/FedEx tend to cost more than USPS.

If they do use USPS, then by my math $7.75 leaves about $7 left over to cover the cost of the packaging and the effort to package it, and to pay for the upkeep on their shipping center - and yes, some profit for the owner. A 13x6x11 box probably costs them a buck, maybe more if it's got custom printing on it. If a worker making $10/hr takes six minutes to get all your stuff and wrap it up in the box, there's another buck. That leaves $5 to keep the lights on, buy new tape dispensers, toner cartrdiges for the laser printer, brooms to sweep the floor, and so on. To the extent that it's excessive in this particular case, I'm guessing it's an automated calculation based on their own algorithms, and maybe it misses the mark once in a while?

FWIW, shipping/handling costs have made me shop around at multiple vendors before. If you visit pricegrabber.com or some other shopping search engine, it's common for them to list the cost of an item with shipping, so you can make a meaningful comparison between vendors.

I think that's a reason Amazon Prime is so popular.

I can't justify the cost of Prime when it's typically possible to get items shipped for free. We just put stuff in our cart as it comes to mind, and when it gets over $35, it can ship for free (assuming it's sold by Amazon).

I usually do that with my amazon cart - leave little things in it until there are enough, or really until there is something expensive - or almost - enough to add the other stuff to it for free. I've also found that you can periodically get a free month or even six of Prime, so once every year or so I have one of those and am tempted to do ridiculous things like order 12 tubes of toothpaste. One at a time. With two day shipping. (Usually I can restrain myself. Usually.)

As for the $15 charge, it doesn't seem too bad to me really - I mean, more than I'd want to pay for something I didn't really need but just kind of wanted. ...but to ship something a bit bulky like that I'd expect them to charge me around $10 or so at least.

yep....I need 2 safety pins for the seat in my airplane. FAA approved pins available from most parts houses like aircraft spruce for about $.25. Shipping is $15.00. They would fit in a small letter envelope and would US mail for the cost of a stamp. I'm thinking about writing them and sending them a prepaid envelope....

yep....I need 2 safety pins for the seat in my airplane. FAA approved pins available from most parts houses like aircraft spruce for about $.25. Shipping is $15.00. They would fit in a small letter envelope and would US mail for the cost of a stamp. I'm thinking about writing them and sending them a prepaid envelope....

Would Wick's have them. I only live about 40 miles away and would be happy to pick them up. :wave:

USPS will give you a flat rate box for free. One is 14x11x11. other sizes available.

That's what Marc Parnes uses. I'm sure he saves a bunch on shipping.

ebay is really bad. I was looking at a kickstand for my wife's bike. $40 + $20 shipping. sheesh! I made him an offer of $50 total.

Some of those guys have $1 item and $40 in shipping. I don't want to buy stuff from jokers like that even if $41 total is a good price.....

For US venders to ship to,Canada, most double the shipping, or more. With the Canadian dollar upside down with the US, most of us have suspended US shopping. :(

Shipping is certainly a profit center for many companies. I'd guess that many people just click right through it, not stopping to think about the overall value.

Amazon Prime has generally worked well for me. Their retail price for items is generally a bit higher than other options, but the overall cost generally is equal to or less by the time I amortize the annual fee over a bunch of purchases. Plus, I often ship to our Wisconsin cabin, to avoid having to haul things there.

My son has an Amazon prime business membership that allows 5 users, so we benefit from that.

If you are a prime member, running a purchase report will open your eyes about how easy 1 click ordering is a good deal for Amazon.

Archived