IGNORED

Good tire choices for an R1200RT?

semimojo

22 hours ago, realshelby said:

Michelin has a reputation for being good in wet conditions. But are they BETTER than the competition? Just like tire wear reports from "manufacturer testing" wet traction testing against competitors leaves me with a "well, that was bought and paid for ahead of time" feeling. 

I have run PR3's and PR4's on my V Strom. Absolutely good in wet conditions. BUT...I also switched to T-30's on the same bike and it was just as good in wet conditions. PR3 wear was a little better, but the PR4's didn't wear as well and did not match the T-30 mileage. 

I have ridden in torrential downpours across Mississippi and Louisiana on the RT with the T-31's and they never wiggled. Ever. I have tried to break them loose with heavy throttle coming out of turns and they just grip. Hard on the throttle in second gear and no slippage. Even in braking they seem to have more traction than I am asking for. I am sure there is a limit, but since I am more cautious in wet I think most any of the newer generation tires are more than good in the rain compared to tires 15 years ago. The only time I can remember a slip in the wet is in 40 degree rain in west Texas. I downshifted and hit full throttle to pass and the rear tire slipped on the painted line. Those were T-30's. It surprised me, but really I should have expected that. 

I think they are better wet tires because I've seen objective repeatable data obtained in a methodical process. Bike magazine tire reviews combine subjective and objective data. They aren't solicitations for ad space and they aren't that kid on YouTube.

You are singing to the choir in regards to Bridgestones but I don't have subjective data like Bike and Motorrad published.

I ride in all weathers and I ride in the rain often as a result. I prefer the T31s as my current go to tire for the type of riding I do. I am confident on them and it's dry much more than it's wet.

I think too often the journalists simply spew out the talking points the manufacturers provide. Add a little subjective and the article is done. I often see tires "tested" for 3-4,000 miles, then the projected life of them is given. 

Same bike, same rider, same testing track , same anti-wreck device attached to the bike, with g force sensors....That would net some real wet traction figures. Except that once a tire is worn past halfway and the rubber gets a bit more work hardened those results might be in question!

I just like to aggravate the Michelin buyers that will claim they are the very best....yet have never run anything else!

7 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

Interesting. I didn't notice any mileage loss going from 027s to T30s.

It varies from rider to rider. Road conditions,  temperatures,  riding habits and so on. That's why I can compare my experiences with different tires because I use the same riding habits and road conditions on my commute to work.  The difference in wear between the 027 and T30 was quite noticeable on the rear. The front lasted about average for my riding habits. As they say on tv commercials,  your mileage will vary. :-)

7 hours ago, realshelby said:

I think too often the journalists simply spew out the talking points the manufacturers provide. Add a little subjective and the article is done. I often see tires "tested" for 3-4,000 miles, then the projected life of them is given. 

Same bike, same rider, same testing track , same anti-wreck device attached to the bike, with g force sensors....That would net some real wet traction figures. Except that once a tire is worn past halfway and the rubber gets a bit more work hardened those results might be in question!

I just like to aggravate the Michelin buyers that will claim they are the very best....yet have never run anything else!

I don't disagree with much of what passes for moto-journalism but in this case I'll try one more time then leave it alone. Bike subjectively did wet track blind testing of popular sport touring tires when the PR3 and BT-023s were current offerings. Same bike, same professional rider who didn't know what tires are fitted, 6 laps from cold, take carcass temperature data, then timed hot laps until times stabilize. This is subjective data. Then rider adds objective commentary about how the tire felt under him. Results summarized. I don't know if they still do tire testing like this as I dropped my subscription in 2015, but in that review the PR3 came out on top. I do not know the Motorrad methodology.

Long thread...

I was on PR-4's for most of my Hexhead and Wethead days... and when time came to for a full new set... with a good bit of cupping evident... I went online to shop. I ran across a great deal on the Pirelli Angel GTs... I ordered them- they arrived in 2 days. Had the dealer mount them and ... brothers... have to say... they ride noticeably better than the PR-4... 

I ride them till I sold the bike. Must have been 20k miles... miss the bike now, bust satisfied with my decisions... the Angels and the sale....

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, MachineJoe said:

I’m going with RealShelby’s comments and buying T31 GT’s from AMT

The T31s are a good choice.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone, I know this thread is a bit long in the tooth but I was googling for the best tyres for my R12 and this thread is the top resut so I thought I'd tap into your knowledge. I ride mainly in the summer but I 'm not shy of a bit of rain. I've also had a read of this guide and they recommend a few tyres, one of which is the Continental. I have Conti on my car but I've never used them on a bike, so I was just wondering if you guys had ridden on them and if so, what do you think to them? Thank you.

11 hours ago, BMWBabe75 said:

Hi everyone, I know this thread is a bit long in the tooth but I was googling for the best tyres for my R12 and this thread is the top resut so I thought I'd tap into your knowledge. I ride mainly in the summer but I 'm not shy of a bit of rain. I've also had a read of this guide and they recommend a few tyres, one of which is the Continental. I have Conti on my car but I've never used them on a bike, so I was just wondering if you guys had ridden on them and if so, what do you think to them? Thank you.

BMWBabe75,

Welcome to the forum!!  Lots of accumulated knowledge here,  with many kind and very gererous, altruistic people with years of experience, and possibly some on your conti's,  but since you are new here I might ought to make you aware of certain treacherous paradigisms around here that you haven't stepped in,  as yet.  To be clear, you have not tansgressed in any way, even for a newbie here,  but before you inadvertantly discover the thin ice hereabouts, a gentle caution I think would be in order.   

In most polite society and professional settings there are certain understood and unwritten ground rules on topics best avoided to maintain proper decorum, like religion, politics, and pay.  We ain't like that.  We are particular about the only two important things.  If bar fights and backalley brawls are your cup-o-tea, just open any thread on any subject and flatly state that your favorire brand of engine oil is way superior to anything anybody else is currently or ever has used.  The best time to initiate the confligration is the dead of winter while everyone is cooped up, can't ride or even work on the bike in the garage, and is possibly feeling a little grumpy about the whole situation while seeking solace here by at least reading about it.  In a twinkle there will be missing teeth and busted furniture when you insult the virtue of the very lifeblood of their dearly beloved engine.  Tires is the other one.  

Now you did in fact mention the T word but you also ever so gracefully, elegantly, pirouetted over the pile by merely asking for opinion.  It was a brilliant maneuver.  Even with an already long thread with several essays on the nuances of evaluation of the subject, everyone has displayed considerable comportment herein, possibly due the analgesic elixir of several rides already this new season , or for our brotheren of the Nawth'un Pur-suation, busy just getting the bike ready to ride (digging it out).

Uh-oh.  THE SHOP JUST CALLED; MY NEW TIRE IS HERE, GOTTA GO.  Anyway , to your point, I had a conti once, came on the front of a '99 RT, handled terrible, hated the bike, tried to sell it, NO one wanted it, bought a new cheapo tire just so I could sell the bike.   It changed the bike dramatically, and I still have it.   Good Luck and let us know what you find!!  And pictures.  "If there aren't any pics, it didn't happen."

Lowndes

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I prefer the Michelin Road 5 GT for my 2018 RT. The most expensive  and longest lasting tire I have found. 
But I ride in Florida. 

• Like 1

I just finished up a set of ContiRoadAttack 3 GT's.  Ran them pretty much 36/42 their entire journey.  They became noticeably noisy at 5400 miles and the front tire was conspicuously cupped when I changed the set at 8400 miles.  They still had a good bit of tread left...good enough for the Florida roads where I live but I changed them out just before the START event.

I'm running Michelin PR5's now.  These are the first non-GT tires I've tried and so far I really like them.

Edited by narcosis
23 minutes ago, narcosis said:

I just finished up a set of ContiRoadAttack 3 GT's.  Ran them pretty much 36/42 their entire journey.  They became noticeably noisy at 5400 miles and the front tire was conspicuously cupped when I changed the set at 8400 miles.  They still had a good bit of tread left...good enough for the Florida roads where I live but I changed them out just before the START event.

I'm running Michelin PR5's now.  These are the first non-GT tires I've tried and so far I really like them.

Try 38-40 psi on the front  tire, cold. It has made the tires last longer for me.

You may also want to play with your suspension settings, like the preload and damping modes

51 minutes ago, narcosis said:

Just a minor niggle. Michelin has left the legacy name Pilot Road behind with the PR4. The current sport touring tire from Michelin is the Road 5.

• Like 1
Rider1260

Road GT for me ( 2008 Rt ) nice grip , turn in and overall feel only 5K so far all looks good.