IGNORED

Crush washers

temesvar

Am new in the world of BMW motorcycles. Have had many other bikes,

but time has come to fulfill a long time wish: to have and ride a

boxer. So here i am getting ready to change the oil when time comes.

Am tired of reading all about oils and filters, so there i made up my mind:

Will spend the buck and get the Advantec oil 5w40. As for filter, opted for Hiflo,

that is less than half the price of the OEM

filter. I don't think there is much difference between them.

Where i am stuck with is the CRUSH WASHER!!Why would the dealer ask

$5 for one??? Is the logo engraved nicely all around it?? Am sure can find them as a

dozen for less than that. So am wondering, is anybody paying the price for a

OEM crush washer and why?

I wish i saved the email from the dealer with the prices. Was

$4+, mind you, $Canadian. Even then, should not even have a price

on itself. Triumph has them included in the filter box.

I was shocked when i got the price.

Picked up a filter and crush washer for the R1150RT on the weekend, $29.75 CDN for the filter, a little steep, $1.00 CDN for the washer, not bad, at the local stealership...(Ottawa GoodTime Center). The bargain was the STABURAGS NBU 30 PTM spline grease, 50 gr tube for 35.00 bucks CDN.

peanut8500 has it on Ebay for 30.50 USD + 9.50 USD Intl USPS...so 40.00 US for 30 gr + exchange @ ~1.40 = 56.00 CDN + whatever amount the customs folks would deem appropriate to hose me...

I cannot resist commenting on the Oil Filter comment...

If it were me, I would never try to save a few bucks on an oil filter. If the price at the dealership bothers you go to Beemer Boneyard. They have the same as OEM filters made by the guys who sell to BMW... at a lower cost.

just my $0.02

If it were me, I would never try to save a few bucks on an oil filter. If the price at the dealership bothers you go to Beemer Boneyard. They have the same as OEM filters made by the guys who sell to BMW... at a lower cost.

just my $0.02

This.

DR coould pontificate better but it is what is inside and the design parameters that matter.

I would never cut corners on an oil filter.

.0274 Canadian.

just my $0.02

Exactly what I was thinking, especially for a bike still within the warranty period.

I seem to recall a post on this site a few years ago by someone who had a warranty claim denied by BMW because he was not using an "approved/appropriate" oil filter. I don't remember the exact details, so maybe someone else will chime in to either confirm -- or refute -- this.

DR coould pontificate better but it is what is inside and the design parameters that matter.

I would never cut corners on an oil filter.

.0274 Canadian.

I couldn't resist to check this out!!

Yeap, is still 0.0274 at this moment!!

This oil filter debate been on many other forums. Is OEM better than other brand names? Not according to some lab tests. But, let's

not go there! I started this thread out of frustration, for the price of a washer! I just was wondering what would cost a oil change,

so i asked for a price. Here is what i got for response:

"

4 - 83 21 2 365963 - 15w-50 Oil - $12.95 ea.

1 - 11 42 7 673541 - Filter - $25.75 ea

1 - Washer kit - $4.50 ea

+ taxes + shipping.

If you'd like to place the order, I'd need your credit card details and a shipping address. "

Now, i love my bikes, and will only get what is, or i believe is, better for them. And the dealers know that!! I will pay for the oil, filters are debatable, not gonna go there, but washer??

I hope the damn thing has the BMW logo etched in color! And that prompted me to start this thread. No oil filters, no oil threads, those are endless debates!!

Agree on the Oil filter issue and not making sense to save $3-$4 but have used HiFlo filters and they are pretty good. They are not my first choice but are said to meet some pretty strict standards. Prefer BMW filters and usually get a pretty good deal on them but for aftermarket HiFlo seem pretty good.

temesvar - your oil filter is a Mahle OC306 filter. I've been buying all filters from RockAuto. They seem to have all of the Mahle filters, air-oil-fuel for our bikes. Used to have a parts lookup page where you could enter your bike and they would provide the part numbers, but they just recently dropped that. Now you have to know the part number.

MAHLE / CLEVITE OC306

Category: Oil Filter $8.07

Your expensive crush washer kit is probably a full service kit with washers for oil drain plug and transmission and final drive.

Your expensive crush washer kit is probably a full service kit with washers for oil drain plug and transmission and final drive.

I would like to believe that the washer is a kit, with multiple washers. I only asked for a oil change set of 4L oil, and oil filter.Why woul they offer a kit for transmission and final drive?

I don't think so.

Thank you all for suggestions and opinions. I sure did not want to open a oil or oil filter thread here.

I don't consider myself cheap, and trying to save $3 or $4. But am trying to avoid spending uselessly.

OEM filter $25.75, Hiflo $11. 45.

I just received the oil. 4L Advantec at 12.95/l,tax 9.98 and $25

shipping from 200 km, total $86.78. That is only for 4L mineral oil.

Do i look like I am just trying to save 3 or 4 dollars here?

On the oil filter side, I got rid of a '97 SAAB 900 (The GM version) a couple of years ago and ended up with a couple of oil filters in the garage. Out of curiosity I decided to compare them with an RT filter.

Given the vagaries of turbo charged engines, and filtering requirements, I figured the relatively low tech BMW hexhead engine wouldn't catch any harm.

They fit the 2006 RT just fine diameter wise, but protrude below the sump approx 1/2". 10.000 miles later the bikes still running fine and I no longer have left over oil filters in the garage.

Thank you all for suggestions and opinions. I sure did not want to open a oil or oil filter thread here.

I don't consider myself cheap, and trying to save $3 or $4. But am trying to avoid spending uselessly.

OEM filter $25.75, Hiflo $11. 45.

I just received the oil. 4L Advantec at 12.95/l,tax 9.98 and $25

shipping from 200 km, total $86.78. That is only for 4L mineral oil.

Do i look like I am just trying to save 3 or 4 dollars here?

Not sure where you priced the OEM filter but it should be about $16 ... hence the comment about saving a few bucks. I get OEM filters at my dealer for about $14.

He is talking Canadian dollars hence the large difference. When in Montreal last summer I was shocked how far it had dropped against the $.

He is talking Canadian dollars hence the large difference. When in Montreal last summer I was shocked how far it had dropped against the $.

The Canadian dollar has dropped like a stone against the U.S. dollar in the last while. Much of that drop is due to the precipitous drop in oil prices, since Canada exports a significant quantity of oil (and other natural resources). Virtually all our oil exports are to the U.S.

And yes, I'm assuming the OP is talking about the cost of buying filters etc. from a Canadian dealer, so the prices he mentions are in $ CAD.

When I moved to the U.S. in August 2013, it cost me about $1.04 CAD to buy a U.S. dollar. Today it would cost me $1.41 CAD, and just a couple of weeks ago it was a fraction of a cent shy of $1.50 CAD to but a U.S. dollar (it's something I do reasonably frequently, given my income is all in Canadian dollars).

Of course, BMW filters and crush washers in Canada are affected by the Euro/$CAD exchange rate.

Archived