IGNORED

Almost But Not Quite A R1100RS Owner

Rumbles

Hello and good day, I am Looking at a very low mileage 1994 R1100RS. Of course I'm researching as I know almost nothing about BMW Motorcycles and of course the transmission issues regarding this model is foremost on my mind. Not necessarily a deal breaker but a concern as the asking price is already past the threshold of what one would consider the upper end of what these bikes go for. The mileage is so low (10,500 kms) that the transmission is likely still fine, but the thought of an expensive repair added to the initial cost has me concerned that I will have way too much invested in this motorcycle. Any thoughts on what else a bike this age with this kind of mileage may require? It would be hard to tell this bike from a new R1100RS if one exists and I would really like to own it.

Sounds like a nice find! There seems to be two schools of thought on low/high milage motorcycles with some years behind them.

Dried out this and that...or...worn out this and that.

I'd roll the dice on the former! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the site and oh yeah.... GET IT! :clap::grin:

Pat

What's your budget like? If you pay what you describe as more than top dollar, and then you need to spend more, will you be able to, or will you end up with a bike that sits in the garage until you can afford to fix it?

If you can afford it, and this bike really flips your switch...

With a bike showing so few miles per year, I'd be concerned about which years saw which miles. Are there service records? Are any of them recent? For example, if that bike were dealer maintained by mileage intervals, it would only been serviced twice (1000km/600miles and 10000km/6000miles) which could easily have been back in 95. lots of parts of that bike would probably be ok with long periods of sitting and no service, but brake lines and such do not like that as the brake fluid will spend time sucking up moisture from the air.

Not to say don't buy it - just to say if the price is really at the top end, I'd expect it to be fully serviced with new tires and completely ready to ride.

Pretty sure I just found the bike you're coveting :)

It does look pretty much new in the pics. Judging by the collection of stuff displayed with it I'd have to think it was a one owner and the service records will be there. Have you seen them?

Not a lot of comps for that exact model - especially not up north. Down here there are some but that's far less convenient for you. Don't see any right now with low low miles but a couple that are still very low. All are at least a $1000 USD less than that one. Comes down to what you can afford and what the low miles and accessibility of the purchase are worth. All in all, even at the high end of the price scale it is not an expensive bike relative to a new one :)

Plan for what might happen, enjoy it if they don't.

Last time I passed on an older low mileage beemer because of wht if it turned out to be unfounded.

That bike went tenws of thousands of miles w/no problems.

Doesn't mean it will be like that with this one.

You pays yer money and you take yer chances.

Had an RSL.

Loved it.

They can be a blast to ride, fairly easy to work on, can haul what an RT does, weighs less.

Post link to the ad.

Tim - I bet you could find the ad if you wanted - it took me about thirty seconds with google and the info the OP shared. I didn't post the link because I didn't know if he'd want attention drawn to the listing :)

...but here are some pics of the bike (or at least the bike I'm pretty sure he's talking about):

6e1da068-a3ed-4804-a8fc-4f5acfd49e4c.jpg

f34186ac-f50d-4553-ab45-5e6c9ad44056.jpg

91b7936e-f5d5-4c06-8960-92797a8a4d75.jpg

97356e1c-90f8-4eb7-9f0d-81771463d8f3.jpg

Yes that is the bike, Unfortunately I live about 9 hours away and next Saturday is the soonest that I can pick it up. Originally the bike had a teal seat on it but I guess because it didn't sell the dealer had it dyed black I preferred it teal. They have rebuilt the front master cylinder other than that it is ready to go.

Dyed, hope you have black riding pants. :eek: The Teal was a love / hate thing for a lot of people I think. I was in the hate camp for a long time on that color, but now, I've come to appreciate it.

RSL same color with teal seat.

124326-L-1.jpg

You'll most likely hate the stock seat anyway, Corbin makes a nice one for that bike.

E-Liverpool-2.jpg

Pat

My thoughts exactly but he is assuring me it was done properly, I'm looking at whats available aftermarket anyway, the Sargent with teal piping is looking like a good choice.

Corbin makes a new version of the seat they made back in the day.

That seat had a pillion backrest that folded down over the seat creating a mono look that was pretty cool.

Just flip up for passenger.

Had one on my RSL.

The backrest was solid unlike the hole in the middle version of today.

VP1766594_1.jpg

best looking setup IMO.

I wasn't a fan of the "rumble seat" or passenger backrest Corbin made for that seat. I had them delete it for mine. Just my asspinion! :D

I do like the Sargent! :thumbsup:

ws_528_hero_main.jpg

Pat

I have about 190,000 miles on my '98 RS.

Transmission lost the rear output shaft bearing at 135,000 miles - rebuild by Anton was about $1000.

Had to put a new starter in it some time ago.

Replaced the throttle body shafts because it was almost impossible to balance otherwise.

Needs a new rear main seal. I have the parts, but haven't found the time to do the work yet (i.e. tear bike in half, remove clutch, replace seal, put bike back together).

Still has the original seat, which I love. I have ridden a bunch of 1000 mile days on it.

It doesn't get ridden much lately because I have an FJR1300 I use for long distance stuff now.

Had a 95 RSL,great bike.

94 would be ok,if trans issue addressed.

White/Teal,not my favorite,but YMMV.

Why are they advertising mileage in Km's if US spec bike?,that is a bit of a red flag.

I don't think this is going to be any kind of collector bike,so a stock 94 even with lo miles is not that special,even more so given they want top dollar.

Unless this particular bike really appeals to you,keep looking,other RS's around and these bikes are fairly bulletproof,so would not shy away from one even at 50-60k miles,with good records.

I'd look for the later 1150RS

JR356

This is a Canadian motorcycle. I'm happy with everything about it except the possibility of having to repair the transmission. I did a lot of research and still can't figure the odds of it becoming a problem. Seems like some of the transmissions in the early oil heads lasted well beyond a 100,000 miles more than I will ever put on it. Then you read of some very early failures which would possibly effect me some day. I was very surprised to even find out about this type of an issue, always had the thought a BMW motorcycles were bulletproof in every way.

Even if you knew the exact odds, you'd still not know if it was going to happen to this bike, If it's going to eat at you in the back of your mind every time you ride it, that sounds like no fun to me and I'd pass. I mean, no matter the numbers, even if it was a super remote chance (and it's probably at least a very remote chance), it would come down to some of them do and some of them don't. If you want an RS, it could happen. Even if it was a different year with a different tranny, it COULD happen - as it could to any bike - to any machine.

If you can accept that and still enjoy the ride...well, there you go.

Well said, your right it will always be at the back of my mind. I'm buying this bike mainly because I joined the CVMG (Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group) and want an older different than what I'm use to kind of motorcycle to ride occasionally. I have a couple other bikes one being a full out touring bike so the R1100RS will see light use for occasional club rides and vintage ralleys. I probably would have gone with my first choice which was a early Yamaha V Max but the dealer with the BMW has good interest in taking a motorcycle I don't use in trade and that has made the R1100RS an attractive option.

That seat had a pillion backrest that folded down over the seat creating a mono look that was pretty cool.

Had one on my RSL.

VP1766594_1.jpg

best looking setup IMO.

i have a version of that corbin seat on my K75. love the flip up backrest.

20151017_143245.jpg

20151017_143238.jpg

downside is the rider seat is a bit low for my taste.

Had one on my RSL.

VP1766594_1.jpg

best looking setup IMO.

i have a version of that corbin seat on my K75. love the flip up backrest.

20151017_143245.jpg

20151017_143238.jpg

downside is the rider seat is a bit low for my taste.

Do you loose the ability to adjust the seat height when you go aftermarket?

Do you loose the ability to adjust the seat height when you go aftermarket?

I was looking for a RS or ST for some time, finding nothing worth buying. Bought a nice RT, though. And i was so much against RT's...

Because the seat being to high, inseam 30, had tried two low seats, a OEM bench seat and a Sargent low seat. Of course, none is adjustable.

I am keeping the Sargent low, with heat.Now that goes for low seats. Standard, may be adjustable just like OEM, but i don't know.

BMW's in general are pretty reliable,but every generation has its known issues.

Besides the tranny issues on the 94's,and I'm not totally sure the tranny issue applies to non USA bikes,their is the the known issues of deteriorating HES wiring behind the front engine cover.

Their are folks that upgrade the wiring,or you can buy a new non upgrade part from BMW.

This is an age and weather exposure issue that will leave you stranded at an inopportune time and location.

Article in the Hall of Wisdom details this,also look there for known 1100 series issues and fixes.

JR356

Well the bike is in the trailer, it is not quite as prestine as the pictures and dealer had suggested but still a solid 9.

however the few cosmetic defects that kept it from being a 10 saved me an extra $1200.

That seems like a more reasonable price to me - so as long as you're happy with what you have, I think that sounds like a deal :)

Let us know how you like it when you've had a chance to put on some miles!

josh

Archived