IGNORED

Dumb question? leave sena unit on or off helmet if not using?

paRTy

Dumb question?-

Wondering if users leave the main sena unit clipped into the receiver part on helmet or remove it if not using?

Do the brass contact points corrode or drain battery if kept together? I know if for a long time the answer would be to remove, but wondering about after each ride, going a day or two, etc.

thx

I leave mine on when on multi day trips, unless I take it off to charge (which, as you know, you don't even have to do). I take it off whenever I'm at home between trips.

I don't think you have to worry about the contacts corroding, unless you've been riding in some really rainy, dusty, or muddy conditions. I have a SENA setup on my dirt helmet in addition to my road helmets.

Do the brass contact points corrode or drain battery if kept together?

Not in my experience

I use two different helmets, the one with the Sena unit clipped to it is only worn when on a trip. Around town, local rides I wear an older helmet without a Sena unit (and a no longer waterproof older Darien jacket too).

I almost never unhook my Sena 20 unit. There were many reports of mechanical problems from users who did so when unit first came out. I don't know if that problem has been resolved.

I have never taken my Sena unit out of its mount, even when charging. I assumed there'd be less "wear and tear" on the contacts.

I don't think it matters. There's no current flow through the contacts unless the unit is in use. The contacts are just for the speakers and microphone (maybe an antenna for some models?). If your use requires daily charging, and daily removal, it's conceivable that the plastic clip could break, but I suspect you will wear out the battery first.

Wife and I LOVE our Sena intercoms. Had one of the tiny prong thingys break off from constant taking off to charge, and putting on to ride. Sena was really good to replace the unit, and since then we leave them on the helmet all the time.

I recently upgraded from the first sm10h or whatever it was (before it came with a usb port) to a 10c. Most of the years it lived in my helmet full time - except that I would remove to charge as there is no outlet convenient to my helmet shelf. No problems, no corrosion, and often, being in Portland, the helmet was wet and grimy when put on the shelf.

I did sometimes ride without the comm hooked up, and that was fine too. However with the 10c (comm and camera integrated) the clamp mount is not as cool and you have a loose cable coming from the helmet that has to be plugged into the comm. result is a floppy cable end when the comm is off the helmet - kind of annoying.

leave it on, rain or shine, or to charge. Occasionally remove and clean the contact with an eraser to remove anything there, but there really isn't anything to clean. ( I just worry about condensation on the contacts from the rainy rides).

Mine come off the helmets every time we get home. The units go in the house to be on the charger. Helmets are in a wardrobe in the garage.

I've never had any troubles in more than 100,000 km., and three years.

For what it is worth...

I had the helmet mounted hardware for a Cardo system, then the Autocomm system , and now the Sena. This spans 10 years or more.

I set up the helmet(s) and never have removed one... for charging or for any other reason, but then I always take my helmet with me if I get off the bike.

The only issue has been the top case on the RT's. I used to get two full face helmets in there but with the Senas attached there is not enough room for two.

I vote to do the install and there is no real reason to remove the unit from its base.

Your mileage may vary- do what you want.

How long does a charge last? Say if I am using it for music for a trip?

I get 10-12 hours from a charge on my 20S using the intercom and streaming music. Without the intercom I can get 2 full days of just streaming music.

How long on a charge?

Last summer I rode home from the UN-Rally in Warrens, WI.... in sort of an Iron Butt fashion. (I wish I had done the administrative things required for an authentic I.B. but I didn't)

Left Warrens at about 5:30 am and arrived in Colorado Springs/Home at 10:30pm.... about 18 hours. The Sena SMH 10 was fully charged at departure. Somewhere very near Colorado but still in Kansas the unit ran out of juice... no more USB music or on the road phone calls. I could estimate it ran music and navigation prompts for maybe 16 hours continuously.

Looks like the 20S units are better than the earlier model... battery-wise.

I use the Sena SMH 10R, the only time it comes off is to transfer it to the helmets in Ireland.

Re hopz: FWIT I have no trouble getting the 2 Shoei Gt-Air helmets in the 49L top case with the Sena units.

GeneralJohnCabot

Good morning, I'm with Mig in that I occasionally use a pencil eraser on the contacts. I have had our smh10's for three years and love them. They are on and off at least once a week and off for the winter and brought into the house.

How long on a charge?

Left Warrens at about 5:30 am and arrived in Colorado Springs/Home at 10:30pm.... about 18 hours. The Sena SMH 10 was fully charged at departure. Somewhere very near Colorado but still in Kansas the unit ran out of juice... no more USB music or on the road phone calls. I could estimate it ran music and navigation prompts for maybe 16 hours

I too sometimes ride long distances and hours sometimes unplanned. I bought the Sena 2-pack head unit kit.

This allows for a backup in case I need it. 1 is on the helmet, the other in the tankbag.

A quick stop and I can switch head units in about a minute.

Never a reason for dead battery or unit failure.

Indeed, your mileage may vary! :wave:

MB>

Archived