IGNORED

New RT's still as great as ever?

Sean

Hey what's up everyone? Been a while, I know. Wondering if the new RT's with their water cooled boxers are still holding up to the legendary RT reputation?

Some here have been stacking on mileage (me not so much) and no horror stories that I know of. I can tell you it's an extremely exciting motorcycle to ride! :clap: Get yourself a demo ride booked and prepare to smile. :thumbsup:

Pat

Heard one handling complaint.

Might be tire selection.

Since you wear out the edges first,

shouldn't be a problem.

Some say you need a diagnostic

tool to work on them.

Maybe not but helpful.

Farkles cost more, more of them.

Better lights on the bike and better

aux light$ available.

Bikes come with so many options for

suspension, shifting, traction, etv.

that they are different, but definitely

evolutionary.

Ride one.

Best wishes.

Got to ride one back in December. Very impressive motorcycle to ride. Loved the power, handling, comfort, but couldn't get the Shift Assist Pro to work smoothly (probably me).

But, not enough changes to make me sour on my R1150RT. IMHO of course. :)

RPG

The best EVER. No doubt about it.

-MKL

Agree!

I have owned a 96, 2004, 2005, 2007, and now the 2015. There is no comparison. If anything the 2015 reminds of the 96 in that the 96 was the bike that convinced me that BMW really did know what they were doing and doing it better than everyone else.

Awesome feedback guys, thanks! I'm definitely going to have to look into it further for sure. I know it's a new generation motor, but any idea what the highest mileage that's been put on one yet?

I have about 32K on my 2014 and that was with losing the first three months I owned it because of The Great Recall. I think it's stunning. To me, at least, much, much improved over the previous models in multiple ways.

I had the issue of weeping cooling fluid but it seems to have been fixed. My only gripe is the absurd difficulty of changing a headlight bulb. I go through 2 or 3 a year and end up taking it to the dealer to have it swapped. Bad design flaw by BMW.

My only gripe is the absurd difficulty of changing a headlight bulb. I go through 2 or 3 a year and end up taking it to the dealer to have it swapped. Bad design flaw by BMW.

After reading here and other forums about how bad it was to replace the headlight bulb, I almost didn't do it! I bought a pair of Osram Nightbreakers ( keep the other in the pannier for a spare as these hotrod bulbs don't last too long...) to see if I could help the lighting a bit. After removing the plastic cover and seeing exactly how it is fastened I started removing the left storage pocket and speaker grill and so forth. That isn't the best way. I got in front of the bike and done it all by feel. I have large hands and even that was not a problem. No, you cannot see what you are doing, but inserting a bulb then putting the spring arms into the clips was easy. Just study what it looks like and keep that picture in your mind while you change it out. BTW, the bulb change is well worth the improved lighting.

I must be the luckiest bulb person ever. I have 10000 miles on this bike...no bulb outage. My prior RT from new until I sold it with 38000 never burned a bulb. I guess my time will come. I'll try to remember Terry's technique. I can't see up close anyway so by feel should work fine.

I assume my cars have the dreaded H bulbs and I've never burned one there either.... One has 75k and the other one has 20k....

Knock on glass....and yes I drive at night....

My only gripe is the absurd difficulty of changing a headlight bulb. I go through 2 or 3 a year and end up taking it to the dealer to have it swapped. Bad design flaw by BMW.

After reading here and other forums about how bad it was to replace the headlight bulb, I almost didn't do it! I bought a pair of Osram Nightbreakers ( keep the other in the pannier for a spare as these hotrod bulbs don't last too long...) to see if I could help the lighting a bit. After removing the plastic cover and seeing exactly how it is fastened I started removing the left storage pocket and speaker grill and so forth. That isn't the best way. I got in front of the bike and done it all by feel. I have large hands and even that was not a problem. No, you cannot see what you are doing, but inserting a bulb then putting the spring arms into the clips was easy. Just study what it looks like and keep that picture in your mind while you change it out. BTW, the bulb change is well worth the improved lighting.

I've attempted it three times and spent over half an hour each time. I thought I got it once but the dealer later told me I'd bent the clip and it was barely holding. The dealer also told me BMW doesn't sell the clip separately so if I break or lose it, I have to buy a whole headlight assembly.

It was much easier on a pre-2014 RT with the dual lights.

My 6th BMW twin since new 1981 R100RS and my 3rd RT. Owned from new 07 RT, then 04 S, 02GS and 04RT nicely farkled and in very primo condition last year this time. Then I met local riding buddy with his new 14 RTw and got "wethead envy". Fixed that and now loving every time I swing my leg over and twist the throttle! :grin:

I've attempted it three times and spent over half an hour each time. I thought I got it once but the dealer later told me I'd bent the clip and it was barely holding. The dealer also told me BMW doesn't sell the clip separately so if I break or lose it, I have to buy a whole headlight assembly.

It was much easier on a pre-2014 RT with the dual lights.

First (factory) bulb lasted 20,000 miles. Took a half hour to replace it. 2nd bulb lasted 5,000 miles. Took 15 minutes to replace it. 3rd bulb also lasted 5,000 miles (No surprise, it was the 2nd bulb in a 2-pack). Took 10 minutes to replace it. Why should I feel like I need to carry a spare bulb everywhere I go? The last car I had with always-on headlight bulbs got 80,000 miles before it burned out and took 2 minutes to replace. Enough of that, sold the bike at 32,000 miles and got a GSA with the LED lights (actually there were other reasons :) ). They are soo much better than the halogen in the RT, it baffles my why they didn't put LEDs in the RT.

... Enough of that, sold the bike at 32,000 miles and got a GSA with the LED lights (actually there were other reasons :) ). They are soo much better than the halogen in the RT, it baffles my why they didn't put LEDs in the RT.

Ditto, I traded my '06 RT for a '15 GSA in October. I certainly didn't switch to a GSA because of the difficulty of changing headlight bulbs, but it certainly is nicer having all-LED on the GSA (headlight and tailight are LED from the factory, and I swapped all four turn signal bulbs for LED as well shortly after buying it). I also looked at a new RT before buying the GSA and I couldn't understand why it did not have LED headlights (perhaps to differentiate the RT from the K16GT/GTL?).

Have a 14RTLC I bought new fifteen months ago , working on 31,000 miles , the more I ride it the more I love it , by far the best bike I've ever owned .

BMW is the world's leading motorcycle manufacturer and right there with their cars and it's simply a given a new model is an improvement over its previous version.

This takes into account, however, that lots of times changes are government mandated. They are also customer mandated.

I don't particularly care for the notion of a water-cooled motorcycle, but understand it's simply necessary to meet current and future noise and emissions regulations. It's probably frankly also needed to get more power out of the traditional boxer twin configuration.

Most of us think we're in charge, but I'm pretty sure the #1 customer as far as BMW listening to customer input for the RT is the world's police forces. Hence, the easier to maintain wet clutch and, I'm guessing, the overall chassis lowering of the new bike ... to accommodate female officers. I see neither as something I wanted ... but they aren't deal killers, either. Neither is water cooling.

We in the USA are victimized by our laws regarding having the headlight running all the time. The new Euro requirement for daytime running lights is met by the "angel eyes" around the two high beams, but that doesn't suffice to meet USA regs and we are then faced with low beam bulbs regularly burning out. We might note that when the previous RT arrived in 2005 the Euro reg was apparently only in the proposal stage, and BMW hedged its bets with two low beam lights, always on, seldom both failing simultaneously. Looking through realoem, it's clear there was never a factory on/off headlight switch for those models, but there now is for the new ones. This is all our government's fault, not BMW's.

I guess I don't have a problem not being able to turn off my low beams. I'm totally the opposite. I wish I could get a HL modulator on RT for my high beams. In lieu of that, I'll be installing Clearwater Darla's on the crash bars, AND Skene front LED modules. The more lights the better.

I'd put frickin' lasers on my bike if I thought it would get people to see me on the road.

52982953.jpg

I have owned 29 bikes in my life. All good, some better than others. The older model RTs were under powered (for me) and I had a love hat relationship with them. Excellent handling and nimble as the day is long. Try to pass with a pillion and luggage? Ain't gonna happen. The new RT is like the K1200 RS in terms of power. It can move along with no problem loaded....I am a double thumbs up with this bike.

• 2 months later...
Sam Rowland
Got to ride one back in December. Very impressive motorcycle to ride. Loved the power, handling, comfort, but couldn't get the Shift Assist Pro to work smoothly (probably me).

But, not enough changes to make me sour on my R1150RT. IMHO of course. :)

RPG

Message I got about the Shift Assist Pro is that you have to make sure and positive shifts, you can't be "half hearted" about it

Archived