IGNORED

Tire Valve Stems

MarkAZ

I'm planning on new tires soon and figured I should also replace the valve stems. Should I use metal stems? And what size is the hole in the wheel? It's a 2004 R1150RT. Thanks...

Valve stems should be changed with every tire change, metal stem or not. The metal stems seal to the wheel with rubber, too. The metal is just there for show.

OK...I read thru the thread in the link that Selden posted and now I'm confused.

I looked at several different valves mentioned in the link. I see various sizes...8mm, 10mm, 11mm, and several inch sizes. I looked at the fiche for the bike and the BMW part says D=15mm. So which is it? I didn't think it would be that confusing. Never had to worry about it with tube tires... ;)

The metal stems do have a plastic on the inner side, but my guess is that it will loose it's flexing later in time than the regular rubber stems.

Anyway, since I switched to metal stems, pressure stays pretty constant and I do not need to check that often...

Dan.

Anyone know what size the hole in the rim is?

I suppose I could measure it when I get the tire off but I'd like to have everything on hand before I start.

Anyone know what size the hole in the rim is?

I suppose I could measure it when I get the tire off but I'd like to have everything on hand before I start.

I think the rim hole size is 11.5mm (0.453"). I get Bikemaster 15mm 03-37-2 valve stems for mine.

I bought a bag of 10 metal valve stems from http://patchboy.com years ago. They attach inside with a jam-nut and are indeed metal all the way through. There is a rubber grommet where the stem goes through the rim. I think I paid $1.10/valve stem. They are simple straight valves 0.453" in diameter. They fit my wife's Ninja too!

I decided to get them after reading about a terrible accident someone from this board had due to catastrophic rubber valve stem failure.

Archived