Any WaterHead GS Owners tried these Aeroflow Products?

Exploreinman

After 10 years on my RT I'm considering a move to a new Watercooled GS, mainly to lose a little weight, get some airflow in the summer months, and my friends tell me they handle amazingly in the mountains. Have any of you WaterHead GS owners tried these Aeroflow products: Touring windshield, Handflare extensions, Aeroguards, and Legguards. Give me your opinion.

I find it hard to believe no one on this site has any aeroflow products on the GS Waterhead! Is the stock setup that good?

I find it hard to believe no one on this site has any aeroflow products on the GS Waterhead! Is the stock setup that good?

You might get more responses over at advrider.com. BTW, Powerbronze also makes some wind protection products for the GS that you might want to explore.

You might get more responses over at advrider.com. ..

Ditto re ADVRider.

No experience with the Aeroflow products on a GS. I had an Aeroflow windscreen and headlight protector on my RT and liked them a lot.

I've put about 6500 miles on my GS since switching to a ZTechnik VStream Touring screen and it offers a quieter ride and less buffeting then the stock screen (which is actually pretty good). But the mounting points on the GS get pretty stressed with larger screens so don't go crazy on windscreen size. Really tall riders seem to like laminar lips.

When it comes to hand protection you could change to a better guard system with larger (or smaller maybe in hot climates) guard. For example Bark Busters or SW Mototech if you like metal frame and Touratech if you want all plastic.

As far is the other bits go, if you are trying to replicate the effective RT fairing on a GS you should probably just stick with an RT. It looks to me like those other bits could have conflicts with handlebar movement and radiator protection.

Mike Cassidy

If you are going to make the switch,try the bike for a while at first before farkling.

I've been happy with the stock GSA windscreen on my 14 GSA.Lots of folks on ADVRider like the Puig for cost and protection.

Stock handguards work ok for me so far,may try the Givi extensions or the Barkbuster Blizzards,but CA winter weather has been so mild the past few years(70 degrees today!!)

The GSA has a bit better lower body protection and the wetheads put out more heat,particularly to right leg,so I have not seen any need to add lower guards.

JR356

That's a good point. My first task is to take a test ride on a Waterhead GS at my dealer. EagleRider in Atlanta also rents Waterhead GS's, so I was thinking about renting one for a weekend and really putting some miles on one.

My Aeroflow kit on my RT works so well, I was just wandering what Waterhead GS owners thought of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had an AeroFlow windscreen and 1/2 fairing installed on my '98 R1100GS. Fits nicely. Rode a couple of times and I get a lot of wind, not much different than standard screen though it is a lot higher and bigger.It's just a short sample so far on very windy days but not as much protection as my RT had. They suggest lower flaps but I didn't get those yet so wind may be coming up from below.. Hard to say if it is worth $$ as yet. Maybe in rain or when wind quiets down I'll see improvement.I'm in Central FL so temp not much of an issue and we have had 20-30 mph winds at times.

As far is the other bits go, if you are trying to replicate the effective RT fairing on a GS you should probably just stick with an RT. It looks to me like those other bits could have conflicts with handlebar movement and radiator protection.

Mike Cassidy

Although those Aeroflow items might not quite replicate the protection of the RT, they might come close while still keeping the GS's advantage of less weight then the RT.

I would not be trying to replicate the protection of the RT, simply gain more protection for the winter months. I would want the added airflow in the summer.

Archived