IGNORED

Just finished a major rebuild of 1150 RTP with a few small snags. Help?

Graeham White

Graeham White

New clutch, spline lube, rebuilt transmission, new brake rotors and pads. fixed Cylinder head leaks, Stripped bolts repaired in cam covers. repaint to all black.

Now Clean and dry no leaks.

Bike was inop for 2 years in back of shop. 1150 RTP

Finished, Test drive today, Mostly great a few problems?

1) Red triangle in instrument cluster steady red. right side bottom of display.

2) Loud clattering from timing chain. Bike runs strong, but off throttle, chain rattle apparent. Do the timing chain tensioners stick? small rattle before sit, now it's loud.

3) Grips still max hot at all times, anyone know what fuse to kill them for now?

3) Grips still max hot at all times, anyone know what fuse to kill them for now?

Factory manual has schematic for "accessories" for 2000-02 r1150rt (UK) and 2002-2004 r1150rt (US) that shows the circuit for the heated grips.

Shows that the fuse F7 (4 amp) powers the green/black wire to the heated grips.

Not finding a schematic specific to the RTP.

Morning Graeham

1) Red triangle in instrument cluster steady red. right side bottom of display.---Could be from a few things but start by verifying the tail light/brake light bulb is operational (actually check the bulbs as the 1150RT has the ability to bring the brake light on at partial power as the tail light then put the red warning light on).

2) Loud clattering from timing chain. Bike runs strong, but off throttle, chain rattle apparent. Do the timing chain tensioners stick? small rattle before sit, now it's loud.---They don't stick very often (I suppose they could though). It's more likely that a part fell out of the L/H side tensioner when it was removed for cyl head work (remove the L/H side & verify it's all there-- or just replace it), OR one of the cam chain guides has the end broken off.

3) Grips still max hot at all times, anyone know what fuse to kill them for now?--- Yes, fuse #7.

Graeham White

Thanks All;

Did some digging and it looks like the Oregon highway patrol never replaced/updated the Cam Chain tensioner. I used the wrong word with Timing chain. The left cylinder is Loud! Checked the head size at it is 17mm (OLD)

Going to order parts 11317688629 - cylinder

11317656922 - piston

07119963308 - seal ring 18x22

13541341797 - throttle body o-ring

11 31 7 698 629 - Cylinder - $26

11 31 7 656 922 - piston - $39

Are these parts and prices still correct?

I was not sure what the red triangle meant? Thats brake warning?

I loved working on the BMW's very logical. Where can I find information on the wring diagrams.?

Thanks all for the help

Greaham

Taillights appear to be functioning, will replace bulb and clean socket as a precaution.

Thanks Dirtrider/Redman

Two bulbs, one tail light, one brake light. Or, if tail light fails, the brake light is illuminated at low-power.

Andy

Thanks All;

Did some digging and it looks like the Oregon highway patrol never replaced/updated the Cam Chain tensioner. I used the wrong word with Timing chain. The left cylinder is Loud! Checked the head size at it is 17mm (OLD)

Going to order parts 11317688629 - cylinder

11317656922 - piston

07119963308 - seal ring 18x22

13541341797 - throttle body o-ring

11 31 7 698 629 - Cylinder - $26

11 31 7 656 922 - piston - $39

Are these parts and prices still correct?--probably but you should call your BMW dealer to be sure. The updated 1100/1150 tensioner is JUST the 1200 hexhead tensioner used in the 1100/1150 engines.

I was not sure what the red triangle meant? Thats brake warning?---On the BMW 1150 I-ABS system the ABS module controls BOTH the brake & tail light so when /if a malfunction in the brake or tail light it puts the red warning light on.

Graeham White

Bought all the tensioner parts hope to install this weekend. Parts numbers are still good, prices up about 25%. Piston,cylinder, seal and o-ring all sold separately.

Will open and change all bulbs in tail lights. Thanks Boffin.

In digging in fuse box, found an open relay spot. It appears to be for the ABS.

two blacks, open spot, final black.

Asked dealer and was told it required a Blue relay. Bought relay and installed.

BRAKE FAIL light rapidly flashed then stayed on steady on dash?

I plan on doing the ABS service, when funnel and other parts arrive.

Any words of wisdom? Brakes appear to work great (as is) with all new pads and rotors. Have not bled the 4 distinct fluid lines yet. Just pushed fluid back during pad install.

Graeham White

Found my answer on the Brake Fail light.

YouTube video "BMW MOTORCYCLE ABS BRAKE TUTORIAL- ENGINE START- R1150RT"

Now I know about the roll off brake test.

New guy....Thats a normal light stupid!

Graeham

Archived