IGNORED

4k observations...Sergeant or RDL?

Slyder_Steve

Greetings!

So it hit a balmy 47 degrees today in Yorktown and I pulled the scooter out for a nickel/dime road trip. It's about 120 miles up the east side and down the west side of the James River. As I was crossing the river at Harrison Point I noticed "Bee" turned the 4k milestone. Okay, not really sure if 4k is a "milestone", but anyway....

Bottom line is, love the bike! I swapped my 04 RT for the new steed; the engine, handling and technology upgrades/integration are amazing.

What hasn't changed is the rock Hans calls a seat. I'm considering the Russell Day Long like a had on my 04, but prefer the looks of the Sergeant.

Any recommendations? Anyone in VA got either seat?

Appreciate any insight,

Steve

Hi, RDL isn't an option for me but got the sergeant seat in late summer. Great support and no aches but I do find the finish just a little bit slippy. Otherwise great seat 😀

Mike

It was a no-brainer for me. RDL refused to build a seat for me because I have a 30 inch inseam. Not in a nice way either. Soo,,,screw them!

I had Rich's build A seat a for me. Second one I've had them do. Great seat. Great great people. GT

It was a no-brainer for me. RDL refused to build a seat for me because I have a 30 inch inseam. Not in a nice way either. Soo,,,screw them!

You mean they said that was too short? Because I'd toyed with the idea of getting one but I'm even more inseam challenged that you. I once had a sports medicine doctor tell me I had the torso of a six footer and the legs of someone 5'8".

The so called lady that I talked to told me I was to short. Period...end of conversation!

Life is to short for that kind of treatment. She obviously didn't complete charm school.

GT

I had a Sargent on my last RT and was very happy with it. Good support, comfort and looks. That said, I have a Sargent on my GS and I'm less happy. I'm considering buying the RDL. They may be fugly, but my biggest concern is comfort.

The so called lady that I talked to told me I was to short. Period...end of conversation!

Life is to short for that kind of treatment. She obviously didn't complete charm school.

GT

If you talk to Russell and ask for a seat to be low enough to touch with both feet, or flat footed, in other words ask them to build the seat in a way that compromises their design they will tell you they cannot build it. On the other hand I know one owner that has a 29" inseam that told them to do what they could. He learned to adapt to it. Russell seats are not for everyone, you MUST teach yourself to slide forward and rotate your hips a bit to get your feet down sometimes. I don't have long legs either.

Not being nice on the phone isn't good. If you get off to a bad start, it is hard to reconcile.

Sargent was good after a bit of break in. After 20,000 miles the piping between the seat and the sides was starting to fray/delaminate/separate/something. Didn't affect the riding comfort but didn't look good.

I was in touch with Rich Laam asking about whether his seat would raise me up or not and the reply I got was that they might be able to lower me a little. I have a 29" inseam and just sold my RT and bought a low-suspension GSA. I had the RT seat in the high position, and the GSA seat in the low - reach to the ground is about the same. Not sure when I'll be able to have the bike out of service long enough to have the seat modified though.

I had Rich's build A seat a for me. Second one I've had them do. Great seat. Great great people. GT

I don't understand this ??? I have a 30" inseam and they were happy to build me their sport seat. I used a Sargent at the MOA rally in MT and liked it, but the wings bothered me a schosh ... figured if I was spending that kind of money, I'd look a little more. RDL is awesome.

I tried a Sargent seat on my 2015 RT and didn't find it much better than the stock seat. I had a Bill Mayers seat on a GS and is was great, in fact crossed the country and back on a 2wk vacation. I'm thinking about ordering a BMS for my new RT.

Put 20,000 miles on the stock 14RT seat ,was a real pain in the butt after ten to twelve hours in the saddle , I was waiting for BMW to come out with a comfort seat like I had on my 04RT but got tired of waiting so I bought a Sargent seat and put eleven hours in the saddle the same day it arrived . I have since put 10,000 miles on it and am very satisfied with it. Besides you have a trial period if you don't like it send it back and get a refund. Try it you may like it .

I don't understand this ??? I have a 30" inseam and they were happy to build me their sport seat. I used a Sargent at the MOA rally in MT and liked it, but the wings bothered me a schosh ... figured if I was spending that kind of money, I'd look a little more. RDL is awesome.

The sport seat is different from the day-long. The day-long has springs. I was told by Russell that the springs were the reason for the extra height.

The sport seat is different from the day-long. The day-long has springs. I was told by Russell that the springs were the reason for the extra height.

Springs are added to the Day-Long saddle only for heavy riders, most don't have springs.

Jay

Springs are added to the Day-Long saddle only for heavy riders, most don't have springs.

Jay

That is not correct. ALL Day Long seats by Russell have springs. The heavy duty option adds a heavier spring package. Sports seats, I don't know how they do those.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a known fact that: If you spend $800+ on a new seat it will rain or snow or not reach above freezing temp. for the next several weeks. However my 10 year old $400 snowblower works perfectly. Please don't ask for any pictures. Winter sucks!

Guzziguy...sent you a pm on the sergeant seat.

thx

Trading my 2014 RT in on new R1200RS

Have a RT Sargent driver heated seat for sale, excellent condition, used one season

Karl

Archived