IGNORED

Blizzard of '16

AnotherLee

Please add your thoughts & experiences.

Seems like forecast keeps getting worse. Now predicting 40" in some places.

Anyone going to the Cardinals-Panthers game?

Snowing now in SW CT but I don't think it's going to be a monster. We're hunkered down with our pellet stove, backgammon board, painting project and wine. Bird feeders are full,cars are garaged, snowblower is gassed up and ready. Bring it on!

The Rocketman

We already have about 10-11" down with 4-5' drifts against the house, fence and cars and its blowing like crazy. Worst is supposed to be here around 3:30. Projected totals have been raised to 18-24". Its wet and heavy snow.

Very different here inland just a bit NW of Philadelphia. I had 15 inches at noon, it is dry powdery snow. I am in a fairly protected area so very little drifting so far.....

So far so good here in Westchester Co. NY. I went out and gave the walkways and driveway a first shot after lunch, and it was 8-9" of light fluffy snow. It went pretty quick and the wind is not as bad as predicted....so far anyway...

Unfortunately this effectively ends riding for me until we get enough rain to clear the salt from the roadways.

I'm just across the Potomac from Washington, D.C., and as of several hours ago (noon Saturday), we had 18 inches on the ground. It continues to snow and it's snowing -- and blowing -- rather heavily at the moment. There's no way most people are going anywhere any time soon (except on foot perhaps).

This is my third winter here, having moved from Canada. We're used to snow, and lots of it. The big difference is that there is no comparison between this area's ability to handle the snow and what I was used to back home. We would have taken a storm like this in our stride, but we always had a massive army of plows, sanders etc., but not so here. The operating principle here seems to be plow what they can with what they have, and let the rest melt. Obviously, it will take a while for two feet of snow to melt.

In the meantime, we have power and are well stocked, so we'll manage.

More than 24" here, and still coming down. As per Ltljohn, it's dry and fine, which helps because it is less likely to bring down power lines. Still drawing power and moisture from the Atlantic. Biggest headache for me, is the dogs. They have to go out to do their business, and that's a considerable challenge.

The Rocketman

I found this amusing this morning:

"PORT AUTHORITY BANS TRACTOR TRAILERS, CAR-PULLED TRAILERS, HOUSE TRAILERS AND MOTORCYCLES AT GEORGE WASHINGTON BRIDGE AND THREE STATEN ISLAND CROSSINGS."

Ya' think?????

My 4 P.M. measurement is 24 inches, that's 9 since noon. It is still coming down hard. I fired up the snowblower to give the dog a place to go. I will have to do it again before dark.

The 8 P.M. total is 26 inches (66cm). Things tapered off after 4 P.M. Radar shows clearing by 11 P.M. Tomorrow will be a long day of clearing the driveway.

Don't over do it take your time cleaning this up and be safe .

It sucked. We had at least 30"+. The good thing is that I don't think the wind was near as bad as they said it was supposed to be.

Spent a good 6 hours outside snow blowing and shoveling. We got another 4-5" since I called it quits.

Where I live we are in a wooded area and the wind is not a big factor. I have minimal drifting and friends that live just a few miles away in open areas have bare ground on one side of the house and there are 5 foot drifts on the other. I am sure I will be out there most of the day tomorrow.

You all be careful when using the snow shovel, AKA "The Widowmaker"

What's a shovel?

Seriously, about 90% of what I clear is done with the snowblower. My 11 yr old will now learn how to shovel snow.

My 11 yr old will now learn how to shovel snow.

Getting him started at 11 is a good idea because if you wait till they're sixteen, he will not know what end of the shovel to hold and he'll have no desire to learn.

DAMHIK! :dopeslap:

BTW, we only got a dusting and I'm ok with that! :clap:

Pat

Well I am done. It only took 4 hours. I will have to clean the end of the drive again after the plow goes by again. I think the hardest part was cleaning off the cars. I wonder how many cars I will see with a big pile of snow on the roof.

Archived