IGNORED

Cleawater Lights

PanMan_3rdDan

PanMan_3rdDan

Hi All,

I have a 2014 LC RT and I have fitted a set of Krista Clearwater lights. While they are very good, after less than 12 months, one of them has condensation in. After getting in touch with the company, this is their response, "For the condensation, you can run the bike with out riding for 15 minutes or more if needed. The condensation should start to evaporated". I would be interested in other peoples thoughts.

Regards John

PanMan_3rdDan

Does anyone know if they can be taken apart to remove the condensation, and what can be done to stop it happening again?

Thanks

If they are like most other LED's, they are not a sealed unit but have a pressure equalizing vent. Therefore, moisture can get inside. Running the light long enough to get the lens area hot can evaporate the moisture, and it should not come back immediately, but this requires a stationary bike to prevent the cooling effect of the wind.

Bob is correct.

I have been running Clearwaters for years now - maybe 5 for my oldest set. I have yet to get condensation inside, but I have taken them apart. There is an O-ring seal once the lens unscrews off of the body, and the lens can then be cleaned or replaced. The lens pops off, then the light pipes are removed and the LEDs are revealed.

In my case, I took it apart recently because I ruined one (my fault.) I had modified the wiring to fit my Harley, and when I transferred the lights to the new RT this past fall, I had completely forgotten to apply heat shrink to close off the wiring to water. The open line was left right above where water runs up and over the RT's front fender, so after one good rain ride, the line filled with water, which ran directly into the light itself. I wanted to see if it could be saved, so I took it apart, but it was full of water and basically ruined. I replaced it and cleaned up / closed off the wiring, and no problems since.

To repeat: That was my own fault. It would have never happened with the standard Clearwater wiring, which is sealed all the way to the top. Besides that, in 5 years, no problems. I'd suggest following their advice and let us know how it works out.

-MKL

Archived