IGNORED

2016 R1200GS vs 2016 Yamaha Super Tenere

Krista Wright

Doesn't every new GS come with a $100 Starbucks gift card and all the Starbucks pre-loaded into the GPS? :grin:

Must be a new promotion since I bought mine-

:dopeslap:

• 1 month later...
One more RT rider goes to the dark side...

I loved my RT but it would never survive the lousy roads here in Jalisco Mexico. My 2015GSW is an awesome touring machine, just needs a better windshield and little else.

Also don't miss all that Tuppeware.

• 4 years later...

I recently bought a 2008 r1200gs. First dual sport for me and also largest cc bike for me so I am a complete novice with ADV Bikes. The largest bike I had previous was a 920 Virago Midnite Special. I also owed a sport bike, a Kawasaki ZR7s 750.  So looking for any and all insight.

I have 300 miles almost all highway on a 2008 BMW r1200 gs. This is the largest cc bike I have had in 50 yrs of off on motorcycle ownership. I got a good deal on this 1200gs from a friend. I am having a hard time getting used to the super grabby clutch from a stop. The seating is very high but the footpeg position has my legs/knees in an uncomfortable bent position. I am 5'10'. I road on a narrow gravel road with washboard stretches and it was a very jarring ride at 10 mph. Next season I hope to trade the BMW. Good thing they have a good trade-in value if in very good condition. I am looking at used Super Tenere ES, Suzuki V-Strom 1000. I do 90% of my riding on the highway. I like to be able to ride a gravel or dirt road occasionally. Do you think the extra weight of the Yamaha is a + for highway touring? I am 64 and I would seldom use the Sport Mode on the Tenere. I would just buy a used Indian Scout 60 but for the desire to ride dirt and gravel occasionally. Other options?

A Tiger 900 or Africa Twin would be my choice over the long in the tooth Tenere.  Budget important? Shaft-drive?  

• Like 1

Thank you. In my area of the upper Midwest Triumph  shops are few and far between. I have friends that have been to the Sturgis Rally 25+yrs in a row then then ride a week in Montana or Wyoming. 4 yrs ago he was riding his Triumph 1300 Rocket and she was riding her Honda 750 Magna. He broke down with the Triumph. They had to have it towed 300 miles to the nearest Triump shop. A failed sensor switch on the handles bars. Repair cost $500 not including the tow. He now rides a Honda f6b. and she rides a Indian Scout  He is 6'3 and she is 5'1 100lbs. The Rocket was in Excellent Condition  3 yrs old. They live in the  Mn Metro  area. It took him 3 yrs to find a buyer for it. I live in rural Mn and there are 3 BMW shops with in 100 mile. Makes me very wary of a Triumph. Hondas are great, as are most Jap bikes for dependability . My GS is probably very dependable but a breakdown on a tour can always happen.

I can see how that could discourage a Triumph purchase. I have two buddies that have 800 Tigers and they like them, but the options out there are almost endless. :thumbsup: